Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever used the Spyder Blue Intake? i looks similar to the AEM one but is only $55. the filter it's self is probably junk but everything else looks similar. MAF hook-up and what not look to be all there.
for this price it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
hmmm...how much is a little cash? plus i have to deal with shipping
Well I think I am selling the car this weekend. But if I don't sell this weekend, we can make it happen I will keep you posted. Well, how about your intake + $40? The stock SVT intakes seem to sell for about $100 and this one sells for $250 new and is still in nice shape.

Sean

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A drop in filter to the stock air box has proven to have the best performance over anything out there

Tom
really, why is that? are there problems with aftermarket ones? please explain as i am new to the svt. my k&n typhoon works great on my 2.3 duratec with noticeable gains so i figured the AEM or Spyder intake with the similar design and location of filter would be beneficial

·
Registered
295 Posts
really, why is that? are there problems with aftermarket ones? please explain as i am new to the svt. my k&n typhoon works great on my 2.3 duratec with noticeable gains so i figured the AEM or Spyder intake with the similar design and location of filter would be beneficial
Tom is 100% correct. However, the AEM produces a burly growl so it makes the engine have a nice tone. I can only assume the air the AEM sucks in is a bit cooler than the factory one since its tucked near the fender well but I could be off.

Sean

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i ordered the spyder intake. youtube reviews were pretty good and for 55 bucks i figured it's worth a shot. i'll be the test dummy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for $20 more than a drop in filter it should sound better at the very least. Where can i find a dyno sheet illustrating that a stock are box produces more hp/tq than an aem intake?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently these don't exist anymore. The website that I ordered it from refunded me a few days later and now they are not listed on their site anymore. Now we know I guess. Went ahead a ordered a drop in filter instead

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased a 2003 ZX3 SVT with a Spyder cold air intake. The owner gave me the stock intake upon purchasing. After I drive the car a bit, and then install the stock intake, I will report back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
While on the subject of air filters-

Has anyone looked at the Ford Escape [2001-2004] with the 2.0L Zetec motor?

I'm curious if the OE airbox [2.0L Escape] is the exact same as the Focus....

AEM has a "dry" filter option and appears to be the same dimensions except for some type of mount tabs that I could possibly trim off with an exact o-knife.

AEM Filter 28-20187

I've been using a K&N drop-in filter for years & years in my SVTF..... Now there are some dark stains that won't wash out after a few hours of soaking & washing.
Even after letting it dry for 24 hours & I spray the fresh oil, you can still see the stains.

I know K&N won't warranty me a replacement; probably call it "normal-wear & tear".

·
Registered
98 Posts
I completely agree with Tom and others on this one, anything except for a drop in is a complete waste of time and money the oem airbox is the way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, the stock one is well designed. If you want some more induction sound just remove the side tube next to the fender (secondary intake pipe). Done! I got that bright idea when leaving a coffee shop, it took me less than a minute and less than 100 feet to feel satisfied.

And dont waste money putting aftermarket headers on either. OEM 4-2-1 headers are awesome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts