Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings.

I have a 2003 ZX3 2.0 DOHC, which I believe is VIN 3. *EDIT* - 108,xxx Miles.

A few months ago, I had a problem where when a light turned green, and I gave the car some throttle, it would sort of sputter (NOT bog), then catch on and away we'd go.

Now I've developed a problem where in the morning the car drives just fine, but during the day when it's warmer out, it will start to sputter and bog down after a bit of driving. I have to give it VERY little throttle, or it will bog and not want to go. She starts up first try every try, and has never died so I'm leaning away from fuel pump.

I do NOT have any CEL / SES to go off of, and the temp gauge starts off an zip when I fire it up in the AM and is resting around the half way point when I get to work. No indications of overheating from the dash board or dummy lights.

Fuel filter changed in 2013, The alternator was replaced 2012 with new battery at Sears, it's been fine. Battery was replaced again right before summer 2014. I got new cables last year and new spark plugs last week. Transmission rebuilt in 2013. New engine mounts 2012. I use Circle K and QT gas. Tried injector cleaner in a bottle thru tank of gas. No change.

After much time spent on here using the search function, it sounds like it could be as simple as a bad coil back, but it seems like once people get their car fixed, they don't come back here to report the findings. So, here I am. :)

I realize that what I'm stating could be from a number of issues, but I thought It'd throw it out there in case this is a known problem.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Why should they come back? Or the way of the world today. All they want is to be told the exact part so they do not have to lift a finger. Your problem has at least 20 different causes, all EFI modern engines respond like that when something not right, why you have to dig for it as Ford dumbed down the CEL to kill warranty costs. The problem is known all right, the car doesn't run right but can be anything doing it. Both fuel side and ignition issues can mimic each other perfectly nowadays, ain't no more of that putting your finger right on it first guess without hesitation.

Ignition most likely, lessee, you got plugs already, leaving plug wires and coil. If keeping the car longer you may as well go there, both will bring you down if not now then later and are routine maintenance items like plugs on these. Look close at the coil connector the wires can be frayed almost broken right at the connector or slightly inside where a cursory glance will overlook to let you throw more parts uselessly at the car. Any hairline cracks anywhere on coil body (bottom too) means it's junk. Look in bright sunlight, you may find 50 or you're blind. It's never just one.

You give no mileage number there..............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why should they come back? Or the way of the world today. All they want is to be told the exact part so they do not have to lift a finger. Your problem has at least 20 different causes, all EFI modern engines respond like that when something not right, why you have to dig for it as Ford dumbed down the CEL to kill warranty costs. The problem is known all right, the car doesn't run right but can be anything doing it. Both fuel side and ignition issues can mimic each other perfectly nowadays, ain't no more of that putting your finger right on it first guess without hesitation.

Ignition most likely, lessee, you got plugs already, leaving plug wires and coil. If keeping the car longer you may as well go there, both will bring you down if not now then later and are routine maintenance items like plugs on these. Look close at the coil connector the wires can be frayed almost broken right at the connector or slightly inside where a cursory glance will overlook to let you throw more parts uselessly at the car. Any hairline cracks anywhere on coil body (bottom too) means it's junk. Look in bright sunlight, you may find 50 or you're blind. It's never just one.

You give no mileage number there..............
I recently changed the plugs, and wires, but NOT the coil pack. The coil pack seems to be the next logical step (for a non tech person like me). Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
stumbling issues that I've delt with-
The pcv hose would collapse after the engine warmed up, cold it ran fine.
At 60k some seafoam down the intake seemed to help a accelerating issue.
As said there's a lot on these cars that cause this problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts