Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've done a search on this and haven't found anyone with the exact same problem. when i start my car and the engine is cold, because of my tune it goes right to 1000 rpms but for the past few days it sputters. i thought maybe the idle was a little too low maybe so i went to give it gas and when i do it makes it worse and wants to die (it almost did). i heard a little clank noise too which wasn't too loud and noticeable but i was like wtf? anyway, this ONLY happens when the engine is COLD. if i drive somewhere and turn my car off and come back in to leave and start it up, it's starts fine. so it's only when the engine is cold. from reading the other sputtering threads, just in case this helps, this started with probably a little over half a tank of gas and i'm about to hit 32k miles.

any ideas on what this could be? i have a couple ideas but i wanted to hear what you guys have to say. i don't want to say what i think it is and then have you guys say "yeah, that's probably what it is!" [:p] LOL. any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Poor cold start enrichment in your tune? Bad iacv? There the only 2 things that come to mind for me, OH egr valve stuck partway open? I had a neon once that the valve stuck part way open and was a dog when cold, but once warm worked mint (well as mint as that old bucket would run)

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm....well this morning, i started it up at like 3:30 in the morning to go to work and it hardly did it at all after it happening for the past week on cold starts. however this time, instead of going right to 1000 rpms it went up to 1500 then down to 1000 rpms (the same when the engine is warm). so this only happens when i start the car and it goes right to 1000 rpms instead of going up to 1500 then back down. this has nothing do with it i don't think but i did just fill up the gas tank last night after being completely empty. [dunno]

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i haven't done either one of those because ever since yesterday morning it doesn't do it anymore, it starts like normal now.

wd40, do you regularly reload the tune? once in a while, my car will just act up again like the aftermarket tune isn't loaded anymore or something. if the problem persists, when it eventually gets on my nerves, i just reload the tune. i never heard of anyone doing this i've always done it for the hell of it just to see if it'd work. i didn't know if it made sense to do that lol. i've reloaded the tune a few times since i got the tune a year and a half ago. so is this normal for the tune to do this?

i remember one day last week i was getting really noticable hanging revs. the next day nothing. so so weird. same thing happens with slight hesitation and such. it's there one day and bugs the hell outta me but the next day it's gone.

i'll try disconnecting the battery and reloading the tune today. thanks

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
No, I don't regularly reload the tune, unless Wayne or Tom sends me a new tune to try and defeat the TC.
(Yes, I have both...Tom sent me the Diablo Predator for free, to try and get this late-build TC issue figured out.)

Anyway, running wise, I have no probelms with the tune.
It's that lopey idle that rears it's ugly head after a few months.
A "reload" seems to take care of it for another few months, but by then, there's usually a new "test" tune to try out.

Definitely give the ECU reset, and tune reload a try.
In fact, in that very order.
I'd reset the ECU first (battery disconnect) and drive it for a couple days before reloading the tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts