Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving my Focus the other night and I noticed that I had almost ZERO acceleration from idle to 3000 rpm even with the accelerator to the floor. Seemed ok once I hit 3 grand. But once I pulled into my sister's driveway it started sputtering and bucking a little bit and then just died. It hasnt started since. I replaced the fuel pump, filter, relay and fuse acting on advice of a mechanic in the family, but it still wont start.

Before replacing these components a fuel pressure test indicated a pressure of 25 psi, which did not hold. After replacing all that stuff I'm not getting any pressure at all.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm flippin stumped here and having it towed to the shop is so not affordable to me right now it hurts to think about it.

Thankies.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i say see if anything got disconnected around the gas tank any ground cables or what not, same thing happened on my jeep and i just had to replug it back in and it worked, try that otherwise i dunnno[dunno]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you hear the pump running after turning the ignition switch to run (but not all the way to turn over the engine)? If not, you may have to hit the reset switch for the fuel pump. Had to do that on my Cougar once. The switch was in the trunk under the side wall carpet. Not sure where it is located on the Focus.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the switch was never tripped. That's one of the first things I tried. When I turn the key to the on position (engine off) you can hear the pump hum, but it won't turn over. I disconnected the fuel line going into the filter and when cranking the engine no fuel comes out. I don't know if this would be the sending unit, or the harness going into the fuel pump module or the pressure sensor or what. All I do know is I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm completely out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just a thought cuz I really don't know what I'm talking about but 3k is right around where the split port secondaries open up.

You could try the SWAB mod and if that gave you 0-3k power it would narrow it down to a problem with your primaries. Clogged injector etc.

I had an issue with my car knocking around 3k when the secondaries opened up. Which led me to deduce there was a restriction in the fuel flow which led me to replacing the fuel filter which took care of my problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i thought that too...but would the IMRC opening up have anything to do with the fuel pump not pumping?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't know. If the computer uses the IMRC controller sensor to determine what to tell the fuel pump it might.

Can you check the fuel pressure while holding open the IMRC ?

Maybe you could get really lucky and just find out your IMRC sensor is unplugged.....

(need a fingers crossed smiley....)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts