Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone ever hear of this? I know that those little chip on eBay and what not are a total crock. This seems interesting. I know a lot of 08+ owners tried grounding the TB to improve response, but I didn't notice anything.
So this little device is supposed to eliminate drive by wire lag, I'm pretty skeptical but wanted to put it out there.

There's no available model for the Focus, but either way what do you guys think? It doesn't claim to give any HP. Just getting rid of the lag.

http://www.sprintbooster.ca/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmmm, seems pretty legit. Dont know if it is worth the $320 they are asking. Awesome post though. Should bring in some good outlooks. Might be better off waiting for a tune for your model. Might already have one out!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
thats a hell of a lot of money for snake oil. Its so close in price to a real tune that its not even worth trying

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
It's been a real popular add-on in the newer Miatas for the same reason: it cuts down on the lag. I had a conversation with a classmate and teacher about this a class or two ago... It's a booster for the potentiometer. It's small enough to conceal under the carpet, so guys club racing the Miatas are able to get through tech inspection without getting busted for having 'em.

The teach also said it has multiple settings that adjust "touchyness". So the street setting is only slightly noticable, and the race setting feels like the old school cable-throttles. The device sends a minute amount of voltage to the PCM and tricks it into thinking the gas pedal has been slightly depressed; the drive-by-wire setup is just the potentiometer sending between a 0-4v (0=no throttle/4v=WOT) signal to the PCM... so it's sending a fraction of one volt to "boost" response time on tip-in throttle.

My friend in class just got into autocrossing his Miata, I'll talk to him and see if he likes the difference.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
yeah can't you make adjustments in the SCT PRP for the throttle response?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Why not just swap the POT for one with a faster ramp? Probably cost a whopping $0.83.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The device sends a minute amount of voltage to the PCM and tricks it into thinking the gas pedal has been slightly depressed; the drive-by-wire setup is just the potentiometer sending between a 0-4v (0=no throttle/4v=WOT) signal to the PCM... so it's sending a fraction of one volt to "boost" response time on tip-in throttle.

Why can't I just depress the pedal slightly and save $320? Seriously, on the older cable operated throttle bodies with the TPS, I did make a difference in throttle response by adjusting the TPS to within .05 to.1 volt of the theshold between idle and driver control, typically 1.15 on Fords and .9 on GM. Made the ECU activate the acceleration enrichment almost instantly. So unless this causes the same effect (and I'm not as knowledgable of fly by wire), I would think opening the throttle plate and admitting more air quicker just increases the potential for bogging off the line.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not just swap the POT for one with a faster ramp? Probably cost a whopping $0.83.
Agreed, the price is a bit steep for what it does.
I currently have a tune anyways, but I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anybody ever even heard of this thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts