Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a little early... but i was wondering what i should do for spring for tuning up my focus or possibly some parts i might want to change out.

My plan was to do an antifreeze flush, new coil wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve. Already had timing belt changed at 140k so im fine there. Anything else i should look into? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Tack on a brake fluid flush & possible swap out the brake lines for SS one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tundrafoci - defiantly, pads are getting close might want to go with a new front brake set. Any recommendations?

Felixthecat- I already have stainless steel brake lines if that's what you mean???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I use Baer's Matrix pads, work great for me, needs a touch warm up in the winter, one or two stops & they take heat pretty good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about stainless steel rotors? Or is that even a thing?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
centric blanks for the rotors. They work great. I've heard Hawk pads are good. I'm still running oem svt pads....I should've done something with less dust but they work well enough

I use Baer's Matrix pads, work great for me, needs a touch warm up in the winter, one or two stops & they take heat pretty good.
Not very many people have big brakes like you!!! [neener]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
How about using Baer's eradispeed svt rotors? I use Baer's 2 piece rotors in the front & was late on getting their 12'' rear brake setup, so I went w/ 11.75'' Wilwoods 2 piece rotors for the rear using the oem calipers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm on stock drums in the rear of my focus. Wouldn't that be an over kill for the front going with svt brakes since there larger?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Well I'm on stock drums in the rear of my focus. Wouldn't that be an over kill for the front going with svt brakes since there larger?

No as most of the braking is done by the front via weight transfer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True. I'll give them both a look. This might might be a silly question but do they make like red caliper covers for svt brake pads?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
True. I'll give them both a look. This might might be a silly question but do they make like red caliper covers for svt brake pads?

You'll have to swap out your spindles for svt ones or the '05 only ones & using the '05 ones you'll have to swap out to the '05+ bigger ball joints. There is a company that make caliper covers that cover the whole caliper, but its no good & looks cruddy. ID like it. You can always paint the calipers, there is spray or brush on paint for them. I have used the caliper spray paint which works great. I had semi gloss black & last yr I did them in gloss black.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya... I'm not looking to do like major upgrades on brakes. Especially like swapping out parts. Are there any nice stock zetec slotted brakes that keep a nice look to them?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That Centric/Hawk combo mentioned has been a very popular one over time.

BTW - stainless is pretty but doesn't give the friction/braking force of iron.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All 3 of you guys have different recommendations lol, I'll give these a look tmrw on my desktop PC and start scouting my future front brakes. Next question is spark plugs and wires???

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Well, brakes kinda went sideways into fancy ones instead of good replacements.

That BST comment was to match your fancy rotor desire, only good ones are worth doing at all vs. good solid types and expensive except when a deal like that.

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
Daniel, just go to Smyth's and order a set of Centric solid rotors and a good set of ceramic pads. It is more than complete for what you will need. It doesn't look fancy, but it does the job wonderfully. As for the brake covers? Avoid them at all cost. Sometimes they don't fit too great and look tacky. If you want something colorful under the wheels, just get a Dupli-Color brake caliper paint set. There is more than enough paint to do all four corners.

If you want, you can check the coolant hoses to make sure they are all good. Another thing to check that is often overlooked is the accessory belt. A lot of people don't replace it unless they have to. Spark plugs? You could go with the Motorcraft platinums that came in the car originally. Spark plug wires, I would recommend just using factory replacements. You might want to check your coil pack also to make sure that it doesn't have any cracks in it. If there is anything you need, just give me a call.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts