Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Looking at firming up the suspension on my 09 SEL. Figured I'd start with springs n shocks before looking into a stiffer rear sway bar.

What I want:
1.5"-2" drop with more cornering grip (so what everyone ever has asked for)

I wouldn't feel comfortable going lower than 2" as the slammed look just isn't for me and car is still a DD and has to deal with a rather nasty set of speed bumps around my apartment complex.

My main problem is that I just don't know how stiff xyz spring rate is.
I can say I have driven a 2012 Subaru WRX STI and found the suspension to feel quite nice, and would be perfectly happy with a similarly stiff setup.

From what I gather, the Subaru runs 250lb/in front and 290b/in rear.
Would this mean similar stiffness on a focus would be ~190b/in front 225b/in rear? (curb weight fraction x spring rates)
or am I just completely bat [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* insane?[goofydrunk]
Anyone who has driven similar cars have an opinion?

Assuming I'm not crazy, what sets are available in the low 200b/in's?
All i have found are the intrax at low to high 200b/in's and rumors that he H&R is mid 100b/in's to low 200b/in's.

I also figure stiffer spring warrant stiffer shocks, so the FRPP setup wouldn't be the most appropriate for such a setup?

And then the main limitation, cash. I'm looking to do this for around $500 all said and done. This number is fairly flexible though if you guys think it just won't happen. Do it right or don't do it at all.

If anyone has any input I'd much appreciate it. And thanks for dealing with the wall of text. [giddy]

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've run Vogtland on two of my cars, and you can run them on stock dampers. The Focus I think is on a year and a half now, and my 86 BMW 325 has had them on 3 years plus. Both are fine, and Tucson has awful roads (my daughter has daily'd the bimmer since I got the Focus, so it hasn't been sitting).

As far as ride, they are pretty close to stock (progressive rate springs, at least for my '12, probably for your '09 too). I think the lowering for your car is 1.4", and they retail for $230 (229.99... so says their website).

H&R's for my old 320i were $250, good springs, but I blew out stock dampers on them (I did some minor work to go about 1/2" lower on that spring, though, could be a contributor).

Very happy with my Vogtland's though. Good drop, good ride, and improved handling on both cars.

Highly recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm worried that the H&R's might not be stiff enough for my tastes, let alone the vogtlands...

shopping around, looks like my choices are:
  • FRPP shocks n struts + H&R springs, probably going to be $400-$500
  • ST coilovers at $650
I worry that one wouldn't be stiff enough and the other would be too stiff for my tastes.

How does the FRPP set handle stiff springs? I hear great things about it paired with eibach's and SVT springs everywhere i look, but not much with stiffer setups....

I've heard rumors of a koni sport kit (yellows and H&R springs IRC) that should cost about $650ish, but have yet to actually find one for the focus... If anyone could give me part numbers of these that would be great. (Amazon has a fair selection of the kits, just listed by part number alone)

I'm really close to just buying the ST coils, just hesitant as it is over what I would like to spend, and I don't really need the adjustability anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You could go with a Massive Omni-Kit and that will open up a lot of possibilities as far as the front struts go.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It used to be that Bilstein Sports & H&Rs would rattle your teeth loose, you might look in to that. With way stiff on the ride, don't go around corners on bumpy roads - you'll skitter a lot!

Post up pics when you get the goods on the car, it's always fun to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I was able to find a couple places selling the koni kit for 750ish[dunno]... Just feels wrong to pay more for them than the ST's.

Got some funds from the cake day, so that has helped...

About the Omni Kit, it just comes with the bit of sheet metal and a few screws yeah? (I will have access to a machine shop and my time is freeeeeee, although ~$80 is pretty cheap for low volume machined parts)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Take a closer look, it's a bit better than that description.

Precise fit, slides in with a locating lip so the struts are reasonably easy to install.

Get the right thickness material, roll it to the exact diameter, and figure a way to add that small lip to position it for installation.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
$500. budget= Get the frpp's 1.5'' springs/dampers for the '06+ cars. Or get the Omni kit or fab up your own sleeves & then look at the earlier '00-'05 suspension kits. Any thing you do is going to be stiffer then your setup now. Yea you could get H&R's race springs & then you'd need a set of Koni yellows to work w/ the stiff springs & then your above your budget. I run the eibach sportline system= dampers/springs on my car & work great for me. Great for a DD & are cost effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts