Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question but how could I get my car to handle more weight and still a little beter performance. I have a heavy box in the back and want my car to stop rubbing when I hit a bump. Does svt springs give a little more resistance scince they are a little stiffer or should I go wit coilovers

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Stiffer springs rates are a trade off for the reduced height a lowering spring provides. The stiffer rate keeps the car from bottoming out to a degree. A stiffer lowering spring will not necessarily increase pay load since you also have reduced travel as a result of the springs. They're designed for a normal load situation and to keep the body off the bump stops. Since it sounds like you have an abnormal situation (hauling a load in the rear end) its unlikely a stiffer lowering spring will help much....including the SVT spring. A rear set of springs from a wagon might work but I'm only guessing. They're a little stiffer and maintain a little taller ride height to compensate for the increased loads a wagon might be expected to haul.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I was thinking the same I never had a problem untill they did the TSB service on my lower control arms now the right rear tire rubs the wheel well when I hit a bump it is pissing me off I want it to stop so I don't have a tire blow out on me

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can make you own air bag system. I have a friend that did it to his golf. Find the right size air bage place inside your rear springs and plum it to were ever you want. That way if your hauling stuff or you trunk is full of useless stereo equipment lOl you can add air to support the extra weight when needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts