Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got some dampers and springs to install, but here's my question. I've got a choice between spending 375$ to get them installed or spending untold hours attempting to do it myself. My question to you all is, how difficult is installing such things? I know I need a spring compressor for the springs, but after that, how hard is the work on struts and shocks without completely de-aligning my car? Also, any idea how long it might take with 2 people with relatively no experience in this area of installing? Obivously, you could guess forever... but we'll not assume it'd take that long [xx(]

Thanks in advance
-Honorsystem

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Its not hard at all. We just put a Cup Kit on my girlfriend's Focus in about 3 hours, and I was really taking my time.

Just make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
and you will probably want to look into a camber kit depending on how much of a drop you are going with. believe me you dont want to go throught the hassle of installing everything and then having to take it apart later cause you needed a camber kit. however i dont think it would be needed if you arent dropping it more than about 2 inches.

what suspension stuff are you going with?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im using SVT Dampers (plans for better later, but I got a really good deal) and H&R Race springs, so I'm looking at just under a 2" drop or so. I'm gonna be running 17's with some 235 or 225 profile tires, think that might be a problem? From what you guys are saying, it doesnt sound too hard, maybe I'll go to Sears and buy a spring compressor and get a couple of friends to help me out (with some help from you folks, if you dont mind). I'm shooting for a start tomorrow morning, but possibly as late at next wednesday, so feel free to leave some tips and links to sites that might help me out.

Thanks!!!
-Honorsystem

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Oni said:
Ataru gave me a picture guide with some instructions but the link I saved doesn't seem to work. Maybe he'll chime in here if someone else doesn't. If not, I (and so can many others) can give you plenty of advice and step by step instructions on how to make the process go a little easier, faster, and correctly.
Sorry Alex, I changed the name of it so it was easier to remember.

It's an old thread from [FJ] that I saved on my server. Pretty thorough:

http://jason.hodges.cc/suspension.htm

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thats greats stuff! Thanks! With all this, I should be able to get this done in one day... I cant wait! I'll be sure to post some before and after pictures once I'm done.

Thanks again
-Honorsystem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts