Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i forgot to put the oil cap on the motor after i changed the oil..... i drove the car down the streed to the gasstation got gas drove back to my house and i noticed some smoke comming out from the seams in my hood- poped the hood and oil on the valve cover---- i sprayed it off with some degreaser and sprayed it with the hose...... after that, more power??? way more power!!!!! what are your thaughts???

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm still waiting for the guys who think that if you let a single drop of water touch your engine then your engine's electrical systems are doomed to come in here and start ripping this guy a new one (as has been known to happen in the past [rolleyes])

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
SkaAddict said:
I'm still waiting for the guys who think that if you let a single drop of water touch your engine then your engine's electrical systems are doomed to come in here and start ripping this guy a new one (as has been known to happen in the past [rolleyes])
Gee... i guess it's just pure blind luck that I regularly wash my engine bay and I have 100k miles on my engine with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^^
Yup...just total dumb luck, because according to these guys getting the engine wet will cause the alternator to die, the computer to short out, and any other number of nasty problems to crop up. And what kills me is they act like the engine doesn't get wet at all during driving in wet weather. One of them said "if you must clean your engine off, it should be done with a rag soaked in WD-40 or other similar light lubricating oil."

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
SkaAddict said:
^^
Yup...just total dumb luck, because according to these guys getting the engine wet will cause the alternator to die, the computer to short out, and any other number of nasty problems to crop up. And what kills me is they act like the engine doesn't get wet at all during driving in wet weather. One of them said "if you must clean your engine off, it should be done with a rag soaked in WD-40 or other similar light lubricating oil."
I wonder how motorcycles, or people with hood vents survive.

I cover some of my sensitive electrical components up, like my battery, fuse box, and ignition coil.

But c'mon... how to clean the engine is in the friggin' owners manual isn't it?

Fah... pansies.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree I clean all my engines. No problems with ever cleaning them. One thing to be careful of is dohc engines like to let water in with the spark plug wire galleys and it can cause a misfire. Simple solution is either blow it out with an air compressor or hook a straw up to a shop vac. Other than that no problems.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
My motorcycle always dies in the rain LOL...riiiight...

Only thing I can think of is a clogged PCV valve , but I am not sure... Placebo effect? ,... maybe.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
They always go faster when they are clean.... There is no drag from the dirt and grime in the engine area. I wash mine two times a day and it keeps getting faster all the time.[B)]

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you look in the owners manual it says to wash the engine down with a couple parts covered. In November of 2005 I cleaned the engine in my old s10 without covering the alternator, I drove it about 5 miles afterward, next day the car wouldn't start. It was either irony that my alternator died or it was because I had gotten alot of water into it. Not sure which, but I cover the damn thing everytime I wash it now and haven't had the prob again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is anyone going to tell me whats the matter with my car and why it runs like a raped ape after i washed down the engine bay ----- im thinking maybe the pcv valve because i replaced the dpfe and the egr but my car dosnt throw any codes---- heres a pic of my engine bay

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
To us, it really doesn't seem to make much sense that your engine is running better than it was before you washed it because there's really not a lot that cleaning the engine off would fix. To have cleaned out the PCV, you would have had to remove the vaccum line off of the PCV and spray the water directly into the PCV. I don't mean to call you a liar, but odds are its just a coincidence that its running better now.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
ok, i do want to clean my engine. I know its not likely that splashed water will harm anything, but are there any parts i need to cover lightly, or at least not spray on directly. I ddrive the car through mud a lot during winter, and the engine bay looks like shit.

I'm assuming as long as i cover the batterey, the alternator, and dont spray high pressure wat right on electrical connection, it'll be fine?

and yeah, whats up with those morons who think water in the engine bay is death.

i mean, there are cars that drive in the rain without a hood at all, and have no problem.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'd pretty much just avoid spraying directly on the alternator, top of the valve cover and any major wiring harness connections. There's not much to worry about on the battery.

I usually clean my engine bay out at the quarter car wash every couple of months or so and I've never had a problem and I'm still on my factory alternator with 85,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'd pretty much just avoid spraying directly on the alternator, top of the valve cover and any major wiring harness connections. There's not much to worry about on the battery.

I usually clean my engine bay out at the quarter car wash every couple of months or so and I've never had a problem and I'm still on my factory alternator with 85,000 on the clock.
Ditto.

I use plastic shopping bags to cover that stuff. Only thing about the battery is I don't want to corrode the terminals, so I keep water clear of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad to see this forum going "pro wash". I have kept the engine compartments clean on all the vehicles I have owned over many years, NEVER had a problem with washing the engine.

On my 05 Focus I pop the hood and gently rinse the entire compartment everytime I wash the exterior. Engine looks beautiful, just as clean as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im not saying that by my motor being clean it makes it faster.... im just saying that maybe there is a loose connection on a plug maybe and the water might be making it get a great connection...... im not implying by it being clean it is faster.... before i couldnt rev up fast now it goes higher in rpm faster before hitting the limiter..... what are the symtoms of a pcv going out on your car and i have 60,000 miles on my car what do i do to refresh a basically stock motor i have already replaced the plugs and airfilter a couple times.... i took off the cold air a wile ago and put the stock system back on! please help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts