Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waxed with Meguire's Gold Class carnaubu this Spring, and while it looked great for a while it seems to have lost it's effect after a few months. Water isn't beading up well any longer, and when washing it's harder to get it to sheet when rinsing. In any event, it's lasted about 2-3 months, and I don't want to go through all that trouble more then once a year.

So I'm wondering, what about using a spray wax that's easier to apply, and just using it after each wash? I usually wash every two weeks or less, depending on weather conditions and how much I drive. What products are good for this? I just want to keep it a little shinier and also make it easier to dry off after a wash. Only thing I don't care to do is take a while waxing it. Just want something that sprays on quickly and is easy to remove (or doesn't require buffing at all). But of course it also has to work.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Did you use a paste or liquid? I use the liquid with a foam hand applicator and a buffer to take it off. It goes pretty fast and comes off easily if you dont glob it on (which doesnt mean more left on the car).

Spray on is for detailing and removing water spots. It wont last.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I'm wondering, what about using a spray wax that's easier to apply, and just using it after each wash?
I think spray on wax is good just for that, after each wash. That's what I do and it's been working great for me. My only problem will be come winter time when it will be too cold out to wax. I will need to do a real wax job before that happens. The spray wax won't do any good then.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I always use a spray on wax to maintain the nice finish and to remove dust daily.

Heres what I use, it's called Meguiar's Quik Wax.

Makes the surface smooth to touch, but it doesn't last long but I apply it daily so I really don't care.

Edit: And it SMELLS AWESOME!!!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love Meguiars products... but have not found a quick wax in their line that wipes off clear... without buffing off a haze residue... have not tried the new Ultimate Quick Wax yet.

I firmly believe in using a spray wax from the same manufacturer as my wax... their car wash as well. Have had good luck with Eagle One nanowax, spray wax, & wash. Believe it or not... Turtle Wax Cleaner Wax, Express spray, and Zipwash is one of my favorite winter combos. Lucas Slick Mist is a favorite too. Right now I have 2 coats of Autoglym on the 2011 SE... and using no spray wax as a booster... just Quick Detailer to lube the MF a little.

Yes I do believe in using the same manufacturer's spray wax as a booster to preserve the coat of wax.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I love Meguiars products... but have not found a quick wax in their line that wipes off clear... without buffing off a haze residue... have not tried the new Ultimate Quick Wax yet.

I firmly believe in using a spray wax from the same manufacturer as my wax... their car wash as well. Have had good luck with Eagle One nanowax, spray wax, & wash. Believe it or not... Turtle Wax Cleaner Wax, Express spray, and Zipwash is one of my favorite winter combos. Lucas Slick Mist is a favorite too. Right now I have 2 coats of Autoglym on the 2011 SE... and using no spray wax as a booster... just Quick Detailer to lube the MF a little.

Yes I do believe in using the same manufacturer's spray wax as a booster to preserve the coat of wax.
You should really try the Quik wax, best product in it's class in my opinion. For around $14,99 CAD at the local Canadian Tire it was worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
I recently got a "Eagle One nanowax" that was mentioned above as a freebie and I was pleasantly surprised. You don't have to worry about any residue on the black trim and it left the paint nice and smooth. I agree it would work better applying it to an already smooth surface as I tried it on my wife's Taurus that has probably never been waxed and it did a little but not to any satisfactory level of smoothness.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I just did my car with Dupont spray wax with teflon. I'll have to see how it holds up. It's a little messy to use though. I shook the crap out of the bottle and it still didn't spray an even mist. A few splatters like bird crap. It hasn't seen any heavy rain or a wash yet.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I recently got a "Eagle One nanowax" that was mentioned above as a freebie and I was pleasantly surprised. You don't have to worry about any residue on the black trim and it left the paint nice and smooth. I agree it would work better applying it to an already smooth surface as I tried it on my wife's Taurus that has probably never been waxed and it did a little but not to any satisfactory level of smoothness.
I also use Eagle One Nanowax.

My review of it here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260153&highlight=wax+review

If you really only want to really wax once a year then I recommend getting this:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257401&highlight=wax+review

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Switch from the meguiars wax to either this:

Or this:

and by doing that alone, will get you on average, 6-8 months, or longer, of protection. Paint sealants also TRUELY block UV rays that can damage and fade your paint and clear, while some waxes can, most dont, and the ones that do only protect so much..

For quick a quick revive of the sealer, you can use meguiars quik wax, ultimate quik wax, as well as pretty much any other spray wax. Dodo juice has a great mist and wipe wax for after washing as well.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
^lol
I guess I just took it for granted that everyone has a layer of sealant latex down prior to waxing. I suppose not...

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
^lol
I guess I just took it for granted that everyone has a layer of sealant latex down prior to waxing. I suppose not...
Lol. Yea. Wax is a thing of the past IMO. Sealants or hybrid sealant is where its at. Looks just as good, if not better than traditional wax, and the longevity is SO much better. I used the #20 on my car last year, and it lasted through the salt ridden winter, all the way into spring, where even then, still had nice tight water beads.

I really wont even use wax as a topper anymore. Quik wax every now and then to boost the sealant, but thats about it.

After using the hd Poxy this year, im pretty sold on it. The only thing i want to try after the poxy is the HD Nitro Seal, which is supposed to give between 12-18 months of protection, and like the poxy, can be applied on glass and plastic trim. The only downside to the nitro seal is that its about 60 bucks for 3 ounces..

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Is the auto glym a sealant? i need to get my car ready for the winter soon i was just going to try the auto glym and see if it lasts over the winter.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll give the HD poxy a try. An a similar note, what are some good recommendations for removing scratches? Long story short, i'm a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] and used a scotch brite pad on the car. It's a sponge/scotch brite combo and completely forgot that the sponge is only on one side...[slap]

So now there's a few swirls here and there. I tried the Meguires Scratch Magic and it mostly worked but there's still a few spots I can see. I don't want to go too crazy and eat through the clear coat any more then necessary, so I'm hesitant to try another stronger.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
I'll give the HD poxy a try. An a similar note, what are some good recommendations for removing scratches? Long story short, i'm a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] and used a scotch brite pad on the car. It's a sponge/scotch brite combo and completely forgot that the sponge is only on one side...[slap]

So now there's a few swirls here and there. I tried the Meguires Scratch Magic and it mostly worked but there's still a few spots I can see. I don't want to go too crazy and eat through the clear coat any more then necessary, so I'm hesitant to try another stronger.
To get the marks out from that, you might be able to use some ultimate compound and a lot of elbow grease, but more than likely that will need to be hit with a machine buffer, maybe even wet-sanded, depending on how deep the scratches are.

I have had very good results with the HD UNO and Poxy combo.

When i got my car back from the body shop this year, they had put some pretty nasty swirls into my paint. HD UNO by hand with their specially designed DUO applicator, and i am swirl free, and looking better than ever.

Before:

After:

If you want to get the poxy and uno, plus their Duo applicator,

http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Poxy-9-Oz..html

http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Uno-9-Oz..html

and for some reason the link to their DUO pad isnt working..

If you do use the poxy, i will warn you ahead of time, use a VERY VERY little amount. About .5oz to 1oz for a medium sized vehicle.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well it doesnt have to be the auto glym, just any sealer to use before wax.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts