Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This staying at home thing due to COVID-19 has allowed me to work on my car more (I really wish I had taken a mechanics course while in highschool!).

Any how, I was jacking up the car today to rotate my tires and I heard a loud pop. I reached down to feel the pinch weld and noticed it kind of exploded.

Is this dangerous or common for many cars that use old metal cup jacks to lift their cars? Going forward I'll start using a hockey puck between the jack and the pinch weld.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Make sure you use something grooved to grab the seam or the jack will pivot in normal movement to then walk and fall off the jack point. Could be what happened there. Even more if you jacked one side up and then went to other side to jack it, the first side will definitely move on you.

Outriggers get weaker and weaker as they use thinner and thinner steel to lighten the cars up, and use of HSS steel is problematic as it tends to crack around welds and why Focus seats are always broken. The welds break around the edges at the paper thin steel where the weld heat has softened it.

The unlearned think if you use the correct OEM jack and jacking point the cars will never deform at the outrigger but I have never seen a car of any brand that didn't do it over time, the metal is thin enough if you go high say to get under car the outrigger WILL deform and if the weld is weak it can easily tear loose.

Every car I have has jacking damage there, it being impossible to lift them without doing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd highly recommend a set of these for your Focus:

those, combined with the ever-popular Harbor Freight low profile "racing jack" and a GOOD set of small jack stands and you're golden. Totally takes the hassle and worry out of jacking up the car.
If the price of the rails is a bit steep for you, just keep an eye on them, as Steeda seems to have sales fairly often. As I recall, I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $110 for them a few months ago.

Reactions: sykozis
1 - 3 of 3 Posts