Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the spindle bearing went out on my daughter's Kona. Took it to a shop to have it diagnosed and a quote.
BAD IDEA!
They told me that the spindle bearing was bad (which I knew) and the axle bearing was bad too. It was going to run $595 to do the work. Then they charged me $50 for the diagnose and the labor. WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT!!
So I headed down to the local auto parts store bought right side whole axle, spindle bearing and hub, $115. First time I've worked on a "FWD", had it done in two days (about 4 hrs total). Come to find out, the axle bearing was fine (jackals! ). Had a buddyat the ddealership press the bearing and hub (12 pack of miller lite) $15.
Sorry I didn't get pics, but the spindle bearings are going out in mine now. Will post up a how to with pics ( hopefully before winter) soon.
Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Movin' this to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis for a better fit.

So this is right side & the wheel bearing was shot while the axle carrier bearing was OK?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Movin' this to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis for a better fit.

So this is right side & the wheel bearing was shot while the axle carrier bearing was OK?
That's usually the bearings to go out= wheel bearings vs the carrier bearing.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So your 'buddy' at the dealership couldn't diagnose the problem?

Carrier bad or not, try finding an axle W/O one. And for the $80 new ones cost, who gives a shit if they are even bad. If you're already there, preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He probably could have, but this was one of my accounts and they work on my fleet and I wanted to see how they would take care of my personal car. Thing that pissed me off was he said they "had" torn Iit down to find the problem. The only bolts they turn where the lug nuts.

As for the axle, working on a 17yr old's budget. I bought the car, I pay for tags, gas, insurance and do all the repairs. She has to pay for oil changes and parts needed. Just trying help my girl save some money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts