Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car wouldnt start,

1. checked battery fine
2. have new wires and plugs and i have spark
3. fuel relay is good
4. changed fuel filter
5. the only thing left is the fuel pump, right?

how do i check the fuel pump? or do i just dive in and replace it? yes the car does crank. so its not electerical or starter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When your turn the key do you hear the fuel pump humming? When you turn the key to on before you crank the car you should hear it. The only other thing I know is disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel rail and see if fuel pumps out you need a tool to remove the line though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i dont hear it, but it so hard to hear it anyways. talking to other people even if it is pumping gas, it could not be pumping enough pressure.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tried the fuel cut off switch in the passenger foot well ???
Thought i'd ask.

Well with your secret agent status you should have known about the cut-off switch :))

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe something caused it to set off. I've read some threads with people having that issue. Does not hurt to try, besides it's only one button to press.

·
Registered
479 Posts
you might want to check battery cables while your at it. my spi would not start last week. I thought it was battery or alternator, all i got was clicking when i try to start it. Battery was good so then thought starter tow it to shop they replaced positive cable and started right up.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
LOL you would've had to hit a big bump in order to trip the inertia switch. It can't be cut off manually without removing the connector. That button is only a "reset" for after it trips.

Inertia switches don't generally cause problems, but if it trips out again- I'd consider replacing it. You can bypass the switch if it will not reset or operate properly, but do this with great caution. The inertia switch is designed to cut the fuel pump off after an accident so that fuel will not continue to be pumped through a broken line. It should be replaced as quickly as possible if it is diagnosed to have a problem that requires it to be bypassed in order for the car to run.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
WNTWN, (I abbreviating you from not on, lol) if most are like my car the wiring for the inertia switch is pretty tight. If a passenger would happen to step wrong it is possible to stress the wiring and trip the switch, I've done this and it gave me a headache trying to chase it down. I recall others having a similar issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well not solved yet, still having some trouble. Had it started ran fine started again ran with sputters and wouldnt start again. But scine it started and ran I know its not the fuel pump.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Damn, lol.

Doesn't rule out the fuel pump though. Could have been junk in the pickup, pressure falls, fuel flows back into the tank, washes junk out, pickup sucks it back in, cycle repeats. But I sure hope not, swear they always give trouble on a full tank, which is why I have a hole in my floor, I cheated lol.

What happens if you try it with the MAFS disconnected?
If I remember right it should run really bad, if at all. You should notice a difference though. If no difference then I'd call that guy suspect, or the pigtail perhaps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i bypassed the switch and now the fuel pump is not turning on. what do you guys think? is there anything else to check in the fuel system?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What do you mean "bypassed", jumper wire?
Did you use the outside terminals? (there are 3 spots, only the outside 2 are used)

I just ran out and tried a jumper in mine. Works fine. Pull the jumper and it idles rough til it's out of fuel.

So maybe a fuse is to blame or the ground for the fuel pump is rusted/corroded (that guy is under the rear seat, passenger side, grounds through the fuel pump control module

Seen here:

I've not heard of one going bad, not to say they don't though. Check the wiring first though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well Ive got the tank droped now.

Thanks for pic, I saw that is my chiltons wiring diagram but couldnt find out were it was. I will check the wires for curent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well good new bad news.

Good news: I checked the wires leading from the fuel pump module and have power in and power out.

Bad news: that only leaves the fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts