Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my short time on this forum, I have noticed that there is a million more threads about Zetec problems then SPI problems. What is your guy's opinions on SPI reliabiltiy vs Zetec?

·
Registered
759 Posts
my guess here is that zetec outnumbers the spi... more to choose from.. more problems to have. just my two cents.

(but i am curious as i am going to be doing a spi to zetec swap

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
The spi has been around the ford world for a long time, so its very reliable
other than the valve dropping issue that some have. Its not very common though.
You've opened up a can of worms by making a thread comparing the two though.
Its going to be a very biased discussion, so I won't say that one is better than the other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My focus has 109k miles on it with the SPI engine. Do you think it would be a good idea to pull the head and get stronger valve seats pressed in? My dad is a mechanic at a Napa machine shop so it won't cost anything cept for the parts. At 120k im going to do the timing belt, water pump, valve clearances, and thermostat anyways. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
just to give you an idea of the zetec, my dad's died at 309,xxx miles HG went and we were lazy!! not to mention that he wanted something different!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I couldnt say about the zetec. From what I have seen you are going to have problems either way. But both motors are fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
like said before this is going to be a biased convo.

i cant speak for the SPI but my zetec has 107k miles and it runs great. i recently swapped valve covers with a aluminum contour cover that i painted and when the cover was off, it looked very clean under there. given, there isnt really much of the internals you can see right there but none the less it looked good.

only prob. i ever had was the egr stumble prob. i disabled it and the dpfe, after that it ran great

·
Registered
433 Posts
A guy I work with has a 2002 escape with the Zetec. He has never rebuilt the engine, replaced gaskets, or anything more major than a coil pack and thermostat. It now has 463,891 miles on it. It has the manual trans and other than two clutches, it is still trudging on just fine too. Its amazing what a motor can do if you take care of it.

I have never had a problem with my Zetec either, but I only have 62,380 miles

·
Registered
818 Posts
The SPI can go over 300k...as long as the valve seat stay's put, and you change the oil every now and then and dont ever let it over heat.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
so far I have 108K on mine, and no problems yet..... though I am the 5th owner [hihi] oh yeah, mine's the SPI... I dunno if you could get valve seats pressed in, because (and correct me if i'm wrong) I believe it's all one piece, part of the head....

I wanna know why the Cougar got so many poor reliability marks on it.....that was a Zetec as well..... and if I hadn't been persuaded to not buy one cause of the so-called problems they have, I would've gotten a V6 Cougar [hihi] (I'm still gonna get one, one of these days....I just love them so much [hihi])

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I have driven both, both equally reliable. Like loudfocus01 said, the spi has been around ford for a long time. That means more time to work out the small problems that you see with the zetec. Such as valve cover gasket leak, thermostat housing, ect...

I was lucky enough to upgrade to a zetec a few years ago, but I will say this about the spi: It was one hell of a reliable, tough, and workhorse of a motor. I loved it because it took all my abuse as a new driver (we all drove like ass holes when we first started, its a fact of life) and never once made any complaints.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
so far I have 108K on mine, and no problems yet..... though I am the 5th owner [hihi] oh yeah, mine's the SPI... I dunno if you could get valve seats pressed in, because (and correct me if i'm wrong) I believe it's all one piece, part of the head....

I wanna know why the Cougar got so many poor reliability marks on it.....that was a Zetec as well..... and if I hadn't been persuaded to not buy one cause of the so-called problems they have, I would've gotten a V6 Cougar [hihi] (I'm still gonna get one, one of these days....I just love them so much [hihi])
agree
btw spi is built for SHOW

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
um ... body for show ? ? ? ? I have some friends with the SPI and there is some work that has to be done to happy for a show car ... I would think the SVT would be more of a Stock body show car.

... anyways ... back to Reliable engine thread ...

I have also noticed both engines to be reliable and unreliable at the same time. Some Zetecs make it as far as 200K+ miles and as low as 55K miles for issues ... and same goes with some SPI I have seen. Any engine can run a long time if well taken care of.

But I WILL SAY ... THE FREAKING ALTERNATOR IS A PITA ON BOTH CARS.

-Ray-

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've owned both a Zetec in a 98 ZX2 (had 113,00 when i got rid of it) and a SPI in my 02 Focus (Currently 132,000) and i think that both are really reliable but i did have a LOT more problems with the ZX2 but not all of them are engine related. I would have to say that i like the SPI better because because I've not had a single problem with it in the 20,000 miles I've had it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm creeping up on 100,000 miles on my SPI, about 20,000 or so turbocharged and I've had no problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
my guess here is that zetec outnumbers the spi... more to choose from.. more problems to have. just my two cents.

(but i am curious as i am going to be doing a spi to zetec swap
That would be the worst mistake you ever made going from spi to ZETEC. The Zetec was not that great you want more performace you better go to a 2.3 duratec. This is my personal knowledge you can make more power out of a duratec then a zetec and personally the duratec is a more solid DOHC engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts