Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a friend that has a sedan with a spi engine [bawling] and he changed tranny twice but still has no overdrive dont have power any suggestion to throw at me[chair]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would first pull the ecm codes from the car and check to see if you have a trans malfunction code in there. There are several solenoids in the bottom of the transmission right underneath the oil pan and one specifically controls the overdrive part. You can look this up on the forums but that was what was wrong with mine when I had no overdrive.
Good luck, Kars

·
Banned
167 Posts
Is the check engine light on? are there any codes? if the problem is occurring with multiple transmissions, the first question would be how many miles on the original transmission, condition of the fluid any metal in the pan, and the same with the second transmission. Is the problem only when it gets warm?

Some possibilities. 1-2 accumulator piston or spring. Intermediate servo piston cover or spring also could cause 4th gear problem as this is also the overdrive servo. Intermediate band or lug or anchor.

·
Banned
167 Posts
Also you should check the TPS voltage..

For OD to occur the direct clutch and intermediate/OD band are holding, forward clutch released.
Your forward clutch may not be disengaging for shift to OD, causing a possible stall and to prevent the stall the transmission then the downshifts or stays in 3rd.
Possible Causes: valve body, shift solenoid (a or c most likely), forward clutch, int./OD band, int./OD servo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts