Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no comments about the SPI as it says slightly otherwise in the title [hihi] basically my school shop has a 2.3L Duratec that was supposedly from a Fusion, that they sent us as an educational tool a couple years back (I dunno, maybe even last year) but anyway, it hasn't even been unwrapped yet. I just need to know if it would be the same engine as the 2.3L Duratec that's in the Focus. If so....... I could get a hell of a deal, say- FREE [grinking]

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
You'd probably be better off asking this in the D-tec forum.

·
Illest.... <3
3,572 Posts
I heard this cant be done because the body wiring in the dtec is different from the wiring in zetec and spi.

That engine is not the same as the focus one.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
All 2.3 D-tecs ARE created equal.......

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard this cant be done because the body wiring in the dtec is different from the wiring in zetec and spi.

That engine is not the same as the focus one.
yeah I heard the same thing....... Though now I'm thinking, are there any four door 2.3L Foci out there?? if so, ha I should just swap out all the wiring...

BUT, would that possibly mean a new gauge cluster? those would fit into the dash still, yes? or does anyone think it would just bet better to make a custom harness to fit, say, the SVT cluster?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Illest.... <3
3,572 Posts
The only reason why I knew it couldnt fit our cars because of the wiring was because I was going to put a Foci 2.3 in my SPI I was going to get everything I needed for dirt cheap and then found out I couldnt do it :(

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ ah.......yeah, wow that really sucks. See I'd heard someone was in the process of it, but just got fed up with making custom harnesses....... I figure if there's like 2.3L ZX5 or something, maybe I can just jack all the wiring + the ecu and whatever else I need, from it and just rip out all my current wiring and put it in place of that..... hard job maybe, but yeah. on the other hand though, I did get a quick response from Tom in another thread (answered just what I needed [thumb]) and he said that going from SPI to D23 wouldn't be too hard, but I'd need the wiring..

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
All 2.3 D-tecs ARE created equal.......
No, they really aren't.

First of all, you can't direct swap a duratec engine into a 99-04 focus because the duratec ecu will not drive the earlier style focus body components. You would have to re-wire the whole car.

As i was saing above. The D23 engines are not all the same. The D23 that's in the pzev and ST did not have variable valve timing and cable driven throttle bodies. The D23 that's in the Fusion and the Mazda3(non turbo) have variable valve timing and electronic throttle bodies. Even though it wouldn't work in the first place, im sure they have a completely different ECU and would take a lot to make it work properly with the focus.

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
^^^ ah.......yeah, wow that really sucks. See I'd heard someone was in the process of it, but just got fed up with making custom harnesses....... I figure if there's like 2.3L ZX5 or something, maybe I can just jack all the wiring + the ecu and whatever else I need, from it and just rip out all my current wiring and put it in place of that..... hard job maybe, but yeah. on the other hand though, I did get a quick response from Tom in another thread (answered just what I needed [thumb]) and he said that going from SPI to D23 wouldn't be too hard, but I'd need the wiring..
I was about ready to purchase EVERYTHING for her car ^(ncedillos)^^ so we could do the swap for incredibly cheap when a friend of mine told me what it would take to do it properly. He said some poor guy on FJ found out the hard way what a pain it is to do the swap, he said he wasn't even sure if the guy finished the project.

Honestly, if you feel comfortable rewiring your entire car, go for it. You would have a very original car.

And yes the D23 came in the ZX5, i have one. The D23 only came in the ZX5 in 03 and 04, it's the PZEV models, came standard in green states, and special order in non-green states. If you're not in a green state you might have a hard time finding one to strip. I had to drive from MI to NY to purchase my D23.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No, they really aren't.

First of all, you can't direct swap a duratec engine into a 99-04 focus because the duratec ecu will not drive the earlier style focus body components. You would have to re-wire the whole car.

As i was saing above. The D23 engines are not all the same. The D23 that's in the pzev and ST did not have variable valve timing and cable driven throttle bodies. The D23 that's in the Fusion and the Mazda3(non turbo) have variable valve timing and electronic throttle bodies. Even though it wouldn't work in the first place, im sure they have a completely different ECU and would take a lot to make it work properly with the focus.
Looks like you've done your homework. The D23 in the new fusion makes good power too I think it's something like 173hp but I can't remeber the torque spec but in a focus it would be sweet and with minor bolt-ons could be pretty quick. I don't think it would work though

·
Illest.... <3
3,572 Posts
Yes I wish it could have been done for me as I love my car too much to sell it lol. I would want 2.3 over anything. If you are able to then wow I would like to see a build thread.

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
The mounts don't bolt right up either, they have to be welded to the body. There's other stuff. If i were to be real serious about the swap, i'd do a lot of homework first.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well........let's put it this way, I'm going to two different colleges (well, I will be) in which one is 2nd best in the nation, and the other is the best [thumb] I think together we can figure out how to rewire a whole car. Call me crazy but that actually sounds pretty fun, and not as hard as I thought.....

but anyway, ehancock, would it be possible in any way to make a 2.3L ECU control the 2.3L fusion engine? (btw, he said *probably from a Fusion* so it could possibly be from a focus, I'd have to take a look, but I think it's the fusion.

basically what I want to do though, and it seems like HonHon wanted to do this at first (but he already has the newer focus/ wiring :p) is do the swap, but actually just find like a salvage 2.3 or something VIN Z I believe, and basically just rebuild all the parts, I've already been getting a list of performance parts and whatnot to put into the Duratec, then I also plan on going turbo, with most likely a DIY kit if possible.

I think I may still be in the dark when it comes to ECU's, I gotta do some research.

I was also wondering if it was possible to just use a 2.0L Dtec ECU and get it reflashed or tuned or something like that to work with the 2.3L and control the rest of the crap in my car. to be honest though, if it's an issue like not being able to control the power windows in the rear, it wouldn't matter cause they don't work now anyway, and I'd have to strip a lot of wiring to figure out why the rear isn't getting any power.

anything else I'll remember, lol. my main issue has now turned to the ECU and such....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mounts don't bolt right up either, they have to be welded to the body. There's other stuff. If i were to be real serious about the swap, i'd do a lot of homework first.
Yeah I was aware of that, too...... arent the lower engine and transmission mounts the same? doesn't matter, I think I can make custom mounts......

more issues (yay!) I'm aware that the exhaust and intake manifolds have been reversed from front to back, will that pretty much mean I'd need custom exhaust work (I probably will anyway, though I LOVE my magnaflow stainless steel exhaust, I need to go 3" if I go turbo, just for the power.....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh, and I'd almost had it all figured out with getting an SVT in there, but damn FJ for convincing me to go D23 (ha, at least the interior/exterior will still be SVT, with an 07+ SAP rear end conversion [thumb])

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
Honestly, i really dont know if you could use the Focus ECU with the Fusion D23. I would HIGHLY doubt that you could though, there are going to be extra sensors for the VCT so i think that would pose a problem.

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
Yeah I was aware of that, too...... arent the lower engine and transmission mounts the same? doesn't matter, I think I can make custom mounts......

more issues (yay!) I'm aware that the exhaust and intake manifolds have been reversed from front to back, will that pretty much mean I'd need custom exhaust work (I probably will anyway, though I LOVE my magnaflow stainless steel exhaust, I need to go 3" if I go turbo, just for the power.....
Yeah the rear mount is for sure the same, i believe the transmission mount is the same too.

No worries. The manifolds are swapped but you dont need to do any custom exhaust work. All of the exhausts bolt up at the same place after the engine, you just need the proper exhaust manifold.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AH......... ok then, cause I remember someone saying the exhaust was gonna be on the wrong side of the car so it won't mate up......

and you don't happen to know what kinda of MTX mates up to the Duratec, do you?

and of course, it just has to be the proper manifold for the turbo, that's all my issue is with that I guess

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was wondering, is there any possibility of engine compartment or engine blueprints? If anyone get what I mean. Also does the MTX75 just fit up to it? who has a manual Duratec? (btw, I suppose if any mods feel it is in a better place at the Duratec forum, please move it. lol)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts