Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any lower priced brands of intakes that fit our SPI? (links appreciated : )

I was previously looking at a Cosmo Racing intake (CAI was $80, Short RAM was $60) but I have decided after talking to the company & others on this forum that would be a mistake.

The problem is, I don't have a lot of money to dedicate to this, but I want something of decent quality.

This is my first engine modification, and i won't be racing anyone anytime (another car for that ...). I just want better response and performance.

I'm 99% sure I want a cold air intake, rather than a short ram.

I am planning on going with an MBRP exhaust eventually (next 6 months maybe?) and we'll see what else later on down the road ...

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey i dont think they make a cold air intake for the spi ive only seen and heard of ones for the zetec but they work on the spi if you change the throttle body or get a fitting from a plumbing store but i dont know for sure i got the stocker on mine but if you do find one for the spi post the link as im looking inot getting one too but from what i read on these forms aem is the best or the volant but someone who has one should be of more help here

·
Registered
891 Posts
you can get the CAI from F2 Focus for $80 but you will need a special fitting for it. I personaly run it and i love it, well worth the money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey slim shady just wondering do you got pics of the intake installed, i just had a look at it and it looks alright and 80 bucks is pretty cheap im jst wondering why its so cheap? but if it works good i think i might invest

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
you can run any zetec intake with a 60mm trottle body (if you are lucky enough to find one) or a reducer bushing from your local plumbing store.

as for which intake to get, there are really two things to consider. the filter, and the build quality. and since the filters are usually replacable, the main thing to consider about an intake is its build quality.

normally cheap intakes are cheap because they are not made as well and have crappy filters. but if you replace the filter, the cheap ebay special should work for ya.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks urn, I was contemplating what to do, and I think I have a lot more information now ... much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
do your self a favor and find your self that tb

·
Registered
891 Posts
im_focused_man said:
hey slim shady just wondering do you got pics of the intake installed, i just had a look at it and it looks alright and 80 bucks is pretty cheap im jst wondering why its so cheap? but if it works good i think i might invest
Once i get my camera with some new batteries i can post some up for ya

arrestmespi said:
do your self a favor and find your self that tb
I guess i lucked out, Klondike sold me his and it should be here wednesday and install on thursday. YEAA!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
how much did it cost you(a ball park figure would be fine)? im just trying to find out how much its goin to cost me if i find one so i can start savin for it

·
Registered
891 Posts
a little over 200.

·
Registered
891 Posts
BDR doesnt have them anymore cause of some stupid reason. They want a group buy of 20 before they will bring them back.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i saw them for sale on their site. so they mustve not updated their site. ill just buy the reducer bushing b/c $250 is a lil steep right now. plan on gettin Volant intake and tune.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I agree, I'm going to get the zetec intake recommended from f2focus, and just get the reducer thing ... I found a 60mm TB on steeda's site (where I'm contemplating buying a LOT of stuff from) for $280 but it'll be AFTER my intake and exhaust from MBRP (I think that'll be the better performance way to go, in that order). What size is the SPI stock TB? I have seen them for foci from 60mm to 70mm and some modified larger ones, but it'd be nice to know that's ____ larger than stock ... : )

·
Registered
891 Posts
The only TB offer for the SPI is only from BDR, all the other ones are for the zetec, SVT, or duratec. BDR doesnt make them right now, so you will have to find someone that is selling one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured out the TB size on a 2002 SPI engine is 50mm ... just a tidbit of probably useless info I thought I'd pass along ...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does anyone know if a 'throttle body spacer' actually works? according to some sites online it can increase gas mileage, and airflow ... blah, blah ... is this a load or is there truth to it? they run about $60

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No personal experience with TB spacers either but a search on this site will show you the general consensus is that they don't do a thing for us. The theory works on cars with different intake designs. I seem to remember something about our air and fuel are mixed after the intake mani, WELL after the TB spacer so the benefit is negated by the air getting swirled around the intake mani.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts