Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here goes, i have a 2002 ford focus with 157k miles.. it used to every once in awhile misfire (code checked misfire cylinder #1) but i would give it some gas and it would clear up and run fine.. recently it has been doing this more often and sometimes when i sit a long period of time at idle at a traffic light it would do it as well.. had a new problem tonight.. driving home noticed my headlights went dim (rainy and wet outside) and all of a sudden my instrument cluster lost power, radio shut off and a few more yards the car just died like it lost all power to the electronics . Tried to restart and it clicked like the battery was dead.. i waited a few minutes and tried starting it again and although battery seemed low it started and drove fine the rest of the way home.. what do you think SPI guys?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can rule out the starter for sure. Those are a PITA to change anyways.

I say take the battery out and have it checked at your local auto parts store. If it's good, look to the alternator next.

Oh yeah, and just for good measure (and the fact that you should take care of your car) check the fuses, top to bottom.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Battery, alternator, check your grounds, fuses, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had the same issues with my 03 focus. I didn't have the diming lights but the missue fire ended up beading the valve seat causing the rocker and lifters to stick. I suggest doing a head swap before you have to replace or rebuild the motor.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Check alt, probably died and you ran on battery only then until it did too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts