Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I bought a 2000 focus w/ a SPI engine about a month ago but never did research on this engine. Now that i see this head is prone to the dreaded valve seat failure I will be ordering a re manufactured head from heads only. My current seat hasn't dropped yet but with 125K miles I figured it would be best if I get on it now before I run into bigger problems later. I have lurked quite a few threads on here so I think I'm comfortable enough to tackle it myself.

Just have a question. Is there a serial/stamp on my current head? Figured I would check to see if its already been swapped with heads only if there is some sort of serial on it.

Also, if you have any other suggestions as to what I should replace since I will have the head off please let me know. I'm just a DIY type of guy so I don't have too much experience working with engines. But I do have the time and money so i figured its the best time to learn on a beater car.

As far as I know I just need the head and a head gasket set+bolts, right?

Have a good day! [wiggle]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes .... make sure you change the timing belt and water pump while you are in there. Be very careful when putting the new head on, the torque/tightening procedure must be followed exactly ..... oh yeah, make sure you replace the head bolts they are one use bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. I just changed the tensioner and belt about 1K miles ago so I will go ahead and order a pump too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts