Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I did a search and even looked through the threads manually, but I havent seen this issue brought up. focusperformance.com is offering this kit: http://www.focusperformance.com/tpl...cat.db&eqskudata=A161-1&cart=3283463088119325
and I was just wondering if this would be worth it. I am a little fuzzy about the differences between disc and drum...I have heard disc is better, but would this conversion be worth it at $945? Or should I leave my rear drums alone? The fact that it says it uses 16"s puts me off. Can you go higher than that at all?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 16" wheel they mention is the minimum wheel size that will provide the proper clearance. You can go larger than 16", but not smaller. I wouldn't recommend just converting the rears to disc. This kit will actually make your rear discs larger than the fronts, meaning you will lock up the rears a LOT. The front brakes handle most of the stopping power. I would recommend upgrading the fronts first with maybe an SVT setup and then go to the rears. But to just convert the rear with this kit is going to give you undesired braking results.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweetness...any leads on where I should look for an SVT front disc upgrade? And could I just do all 4 wheels with the SVT setup instead of blowing a G on the Focus Performace one?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't know where you could look for it, but converting to the SVT brake package would be a sweet upgrade.

·
Registered
963 Posts
look in a junkyard for an svt or a focus with disc all around, thats what ive been doin fo r a month or two now(with no luck)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Not so easy. The SVT uses completely different setups. Its alot more than just swapping out the brakes. The spindles and almost every other component also needs to be replaced, you cant use the stock ZX/SE ones. Unless you are racing on a track, there isnt anything wrong with your stock setup. A salvage yard will charge you top dollar for anything that comes off an SVT, it will end up running you more than a G either way. If you have that kind of cash to blow spend it on something that will give you the most enjoyment for the buck, like a system or nice rims. For a street car thats alot of cash for something that gives you nothing in return.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts