Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I own a 2003 focus zts its got 194k on it and its an automatic. When I was driving earlier today going about 35-40 mph the light up ahead turned red so I put it in neutral and coasted to the stop light and the rpm's went up around 500 or so and hung for a little while until I got to the light. Then when i got to the light it feels like it wants to shut off, the rpm's will idle at about 800 then drop a little and feel like it wants to shut off then jumps back up to about 800 and the cycle repeats until the light turns green and I head off. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? MAF, Idle air control, throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i went into neutral and coasted to the light and turned my heat on, my car was starting to overheat a little so I was just trying to think of things to keep the heat off a little since it was around 100 here. I live in North Carolina and we have been having alot of wildfires poping up lately so its been extremely hot. The A/C was on at first then I turned it off and the rpm's jumped a little then slowly dropped and did the same thing as it did with the A/C on.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
OK , with the AC on the IAC,( idle air control) will fluctuate the rpm`s. Up when the AC compressor kicks on and down when it turns off. If your car is running hot. Check to see that your fans are coming on. With the AC on high and the recirc button pressed , both fans should come on. If not it usually is the relay between the 2 fans. If the AC is working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts