Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2003 ZX5 5speed 2.0 Zetec with 177,000 miles. The speedometer is stuck at 37. The speedometer does return to 0 once the engine is shut off but returns to 37 as soon as you start the car. All the other gauges(tach, fuel, temp) work perfect including the odometer and trip meter. I've read other posts here that mention other things happening to car mainly with throttle issues or motor revs but mine works perfect other than the speed-o being stuck. The only other thing to mention would be once the car gets to 80+mph the hand gradually begins to slip back toward 0 but if I slow back to 75 the hand will climb back and remain at 37. I was thinking the speed sensor but somewhere I read about a coil pack. Any thoughts or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Welcome to FF.

I am thinking here that the instrument cluster has developed a bad connection with either the cluster connector or a bad solder joint. The instrument clusters on the early Foci are known to develop bad connections. The cluster exhibits any number of possible symptoms as a result and your tach problem may be one of them.

I would pull the cluster and closely examine the printed circuit board for bad connections. You should be able to search this forum and find a number of threads relating to instrument cluster failures and repairs. Should you find any of the threads that mention using WD-40 as a cleaner, don't use the WD-40 lube, but rather the WD-40 circuit cleaner or any other cleaner approved for use on electronics.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
^^^ Yup, that's possible too.

Does Cruise Control work? It can't work without VSS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts