Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can someone help me, I have a 2000 1.8cc focus zetec and I have a problem. When I am driving the speedometer randomly drops down to 0 for so long and then just corrects itself. I thought it must just be the sender that is not sending the signal to the dashboard, but when it does it you can feel a loss of power to the engine like it holds back and then when the speedometer comes back the car gets the power back.

Has anybody else had this problem, its doin my head in!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
i had a similar problem on my '96 neon. Sometimes i would start the car and none of the gauges would work for about 30 seconds. then it happened to me one time on the highway... i figured my car was a POS... which it was, but i loved it. Its probably some kind of electrical problem, which i dont know too much about, maybe someone else can give you some more insight than me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a problem similar to this with mine. I have a 2002 ZX5 w/ Zetec. The speedometer would go to zero and I if I was driving at night, my lights would turn off. I had the alternator checked and then replaced and it fixed the issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 98' Focus 1.6 ZETEC, yes, i have had the same problem since i've bought the car,2 years ago, i havnt had it checked cuz it saves on the mileage rolling on, but now that i have started to add some performance parts to the car, the loss of power is more evident, and it's really annoying wen your trying to race someone at the lights! PLESE HELP![}:)] [}:)]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lduran,
Dont think its the alternator cause I had a brand new one put on about 6 months ago and it was doing it before and after this. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and take it to ford servicing. ££££'s! Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you do take it in, please let us know what the fix was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to let anyone know who has had the same problem, it was the speed sensor that was the fault. The reason for the power loss seems to be that the car thought that the car wasnt moving so was trying to drop the rev's. Cost me £90 to fix, would have been £30 cheaper but paid to get it scanned on the computer to find the fault.

Hope this helps anyone else who has been demented by this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts