Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this issue crop up about a month ago but it went away then came back this week with a vengeance. The speedometer will just randomly start moving to the right even when slowing or completely stopped. It'll read anywhere from 15-70mph off what it should be. But I found if I pull over and cycle the key from off to on I can get the needle to fall back 5mph increments until it goes back to its normal position.

After re-starting the car, it'll work fine for like 10-15 minutes then it'll start moving past where it should be again. This morning it was pegged on the other side... past 140 lol makes for a pretty funny pic but not sure what could be causing it. It eventually stopped and dropped back into range but it was still off though. Speed sensor is reading correctly so I know its not that and it never stops working.

I browsed old threads but couldn't seem to find someone with similar issue. Any ideas of what I could try? None of the other gauges are reading off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Failed instrument cluster, failed VS sensor, failed wiring between, or bad/intermittent ground.

Paul

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Like said above, Best to check the grounds, then the wiring going to the vss on the drivers side of the trans. If it needs a speed sensor, its on the drivers side of the trans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'll check those things and will check back here when I get the chance to look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts