Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for guidance on how to update the instrument cluster in my 2007 Ford Focus. Basically, I'm looking to replace my present cluster with one that has the tachometer. Removing and replacing the cluster looks simple enough, my questions are... What about the electronics? How do I update the mileage in the replacement cluster to match my original? I want everything to be legal and I'm also not sure about what parts of the car 'talk' to each other electronically. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
forscan can fix your mileage PROVIDED the new cluster has less miles on it than your current cluster does. just make sure you get a good ELM327 adapter to use with it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm using an OBDLINK MX. the drawback is they arent cheap (paid about $75 for mine about 5 months ago).

with forscan, you sign up for the free extended license which is good for 2 months so you can adjust the mileage up in the new cluster.

I'm trying to remember, their maybe other things in forscan you will have to modify in the new cluster with forscan but I haven't had to do it since mine came with the tach cluster. I replaced my cluster cause the ABS light was burned out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did this swap...

Be sure to double check that you are getting one for auto or 5spd, whatever you have.

I seem to remember there was a part number difference for some reason for auto VS 5spd.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did this swap...

Be sure to double check that you are getting one for auto or 5spd, whatever you have.

I seem to remember there was a part number difference for some reason for auto VS 5spd.
Really? when i changed mine i ordered one from ebay with lower mileage, and adjusted it with forscan.

i see your about 20 miles from me...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really? when i changed mine i ordered one from ebay with lower mileage, and adjusted it with forscan.

i see your about 20 miles from me...
More of an FYI/observation. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I saw no visible difference between the two. Or maybe it does?
Someone else mentioned it on one of the threads here before; I read every thread before I changed it out.

I see we are working with the same car... I usually trailer/track mine at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill or Sonoma.

We are in the mountains by Topaz Lake.

·
Registered
215 Posts
More of an FYI/observation. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I saw no visible difference between the two. Or maybe it does?
Someone else mentioned it on one of the threads here before; I read every thread before I changed it out.

I see we are working with the same car... I usually trailer/track mine at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill or Sonoma.

We are in the mountains by Topaz Lake.
i flashed the AsBuilt data to the new cluster also from forscan since i knew it would be different between cars.

and mine is my daily driver so i dont get away with major mods to mine.
feel free to send me a PM. im in Carson city.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your responses! I plan on picking up an ELM327 adapter and doing the mod this summer. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts