Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was discussed in an old thread but it didn't seem to be resolved.
I just took a 3000 mile trip and my speedo seems to have a 2 mph error. GPS said 72mph, speedo said 70mph. Not the best way to err. In fact I ended up with a ticket when I had the cruise on at 75 in a 70. GPS said 77. Cop said 80.
My car is standard as delivered, SE with sports package.
I'll be taking it to the dealer but thought I'd check here as well. Anyone else with the speed differential?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Its pretty normal for them to be a few MPH off. Motorcycles are even worse than cars.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sounds like a dick cop. GPS readings are very accurate as they use the GPS satellites to track your current location, since it calculates how fast you're moving compared to the map, it's hard to believe it's inaccurate.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
For obvious reasons, a speedometer should never read low and are designed accordingly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Ditto on the cop! Ditto on the low reading error. They should read high.
Maybe they didn't set the tire size right in the computer. I'll be taking it in next week. I'll report back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tested my Ti this last weekend and the GPS shows 71mph when my cruise is set at 70mph. It really feels like it's even further off since everyone else seems to have speedos that read fast so they drive a few mph under 70 while I'm doing 71.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Dad has a Camry, and its speedo is off by about 5 mph. He uses a Garmin to get the accurate speed, although the variance seems pretty consistent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts