Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First the car started to jump from 0 to 10 or 15 mph, I mean when I foot the accelerator the car start measuring at 10 or 15 and when I break it jumps from 10 to 0 mph.

Now is WORST!! it jumps to 30 mph and it is not letting the transmission shift to 2nd gear and it make sense, if the trans does not know what is the speed it wont know when to shift so is entering to limp mode or backup mode and speedmeter stop working at all, transmission light comes up and odometer looks like ---------, I have read some forums and they said it is the VSS. but has some body experience this? and how resolved. if someone knows please let me know and where I could buy for a ZX4 2005. IT is so annoying [mad]

Regards:

John

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the same exact problem on my zx3 it didnt shift wierd because its a manual but it did the same thing as yours the speedo would jump like it was lagging behind or something then eventualy it just stoped working one day. It ended up being the speed censor it was about 70 bucks from autozone for me it fixed the problem and everything works now

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi all,

First the car started to jump from 0 to 10 or 15 mph, I mean when I foot the accelerator the car start measuring at 10 or 15 and when I break it jumps from 10 to 0 mph.

Now is WORST!! it jumps to 30 mph and it is not letting the transmission shift to 2nd gear and it make sense, if the trans does not know what is the speed it wont know when to shift so is entering to limp mode or backup mode and speedmeter stop working at all, transmission light comes up and odometer looks like ---------, I have read some forums and they said it is the VSS. but has some body experience this? and how resolved. if someone knows please let me know and where I could buy for a ZX4 2005. IT is so annoying [mad]

Regards:

John
Hi John!

Have you considered having this concern diagnosed at your local dealer? They will be best able to determine a solution, and will use Ford Genuine Parts, which have undergone extensive laboratory and on-the-road testing, and are manufactured for your specific vehicle.

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ours did same thing. VSS fixed the problem. Less than $30 from RockAuto. We have automatics. It would shift eratically at take off, jerk, turn on emission light, transmission light. We could cut car off and it would reset or push the OD buttons several times and it clear up. The speedo would go to zero and the odometer would read ----. It would go a few days before acting up again. To be sure, we had it scanned at Advance Auto Parts, it coded speed sensor. We have two 2005 zxw's. One with 154k, never a VSS problem. This one has 83k. Good luck

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
...... I have read some forums and they said it is the VSS. but has some body experience this? and how resolved. if someone knows please let me know and where I could buy .......
Save your Dominican pesos for your search of the fountain of youth my friend.

You have searched this problem and found the solution, as many have pointed out to you. The 'VSS'. I had the same symptoms and problem with my ATX too.

I have a brand new one from a Ford Focus (spare) that dropped a valve seat that I'll let you have for the cost of shipping.....

It would probably be cheaper to buy locally though - maybe even a salvage yard if you're into that kind of thing. Good Luck and have fun.....

edited: See this link for more info if it didn't come up in your searches. ATX has a OSS and a TSS, MTX has only a VSS. I believe you have a ATX and the OSS which is really just a VSS.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219395&highlight=oss

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Save your Dominican pesos for your search of the fountain of youth my friend.

I have a brand new one from a Ford Focus (spare) that dropped a valve seat that I'll let you have for the cost of shipping.....

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219395&highlight=oss
Thank you very much!, but I will try to get here in the country first. The question is, is it safe to drive with a bad VSS?, the car appears to be on emergency mode and gear shift is a little bit hard. I don't want to damage other components as the transmission for example.

Regards

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Is it safe? - for the most part, probably. It will shift a lot rougher and harder but just take it easy until you locate the replacement part you need.

You could put the transmission in 2nd gear to start off and then move the selector to 'D' once you get going (2nd gear is good for starting off in ice and snow - probably not much of a concern for you...lol). It will be very slow starting off in 2nd gear.

Hopefully your TSS will shift into 3rd gear for you when you select 'D'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have solved the issue!, just replace the speed sensor and it is working nice. It cost me like 90 dollars including labor so I think it was good. Thank you all for your help. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts