Votes: 1,167 84.3%
  • I'm fine with whichever

Votes: 130 9.4%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ya i think thats the big thing, I mean 30+mpg is pretty darn good as it is. We just have to get to the oil.

Yep. If we even attempted a half-assed attempt[headbang] [headbang] of drilling on us soil, those OPEC bastard would freak out so bad, they probably give us a crazy surplus of oil in which like of us we could never imagine. Would be hilarious, gas would go down to like $1 again, would be sweet!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Some people's opinions here lately. I guess not one of you read my post. If you are FOR the speed limit to save gas, then rationing gas is only one small step further in "the right direction" if we were to go by your mentality. They had this in communist Romania. 17 litres per month for everyone. Gotta take a long trip? Tough luck, better save up! I gotta hand it to you folks, a lower speed limit is one hell of a way to decrease our consumption and dependance on foreign oil. Yep, one heck of an energy policy. You're not voting for Obama too by chance, right, who is advising us of inflating our tires?
That's not an energy policy, that's a public service announcement. The speed limit does NOT force you to go THE speed limit. You CAN go 55 if you want to.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Dropping the speed limit to 55 is no more than a BAND AID to the problem.

Instead of driving cars where some of them get better mileage lets make the car companies design more efficient cars.

They could also change the gearing in their trannys to make vehicals run at lower rpms at higher speeds... example my SVT runs 3000rpm at 70ish mph , you could change ONE gear in the tranny and make it run 1500rpm (or whatever would be ideal for fuel mileage)

Its not rocket science when it comes to getting better mileage.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i just love the fact the manufacturers design these cars to go 0-60 quicker and quicker.. yet the govt wants to lower the speed limits. I agree 55 being too low... (in some parts)... some roads can get away with higher speeds.. but in the end driving is not a right we have... its a priveledge.. some people tend to forget that. the govt can and will do what it wants

·
Registered
539 Posts
They could also change the gearing in their trannys to make vehicals run at lower rpms at higher speeds... example my SVT runs 3000rpm at 70ish mph , you could change ONE gear in the tranny and make it run 1500rpm (or whatever would be ideal for fuel mileage)
The engine may need to run at that RPM at highway speeds underload to get the proper lubrication.

GM tried to run their engines at real low RPM back in the 70s during the oil crisis to try to save fuel and they had a boatload of camshaft bearing failures. The engines needed to be spinning at the higher RPMs at cruising speed to get the proper lubrication to those camshaft bearings.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i just love the fact the manufacturers design these cars to go 0-60 quicker and quicker.. yet the govt wants to lower the speed limits. I agree 55 being too low... (in some parts)... some roads can get away with higher speeds.. but in the end driving is not a right we have... its a priveledge.. some people tend to forget that. the govt can and will do what it wants
eh.....we have the RIGHT to move about the country freely and roads are paid with tax payer dollar$.

when the people fear the goverment there is Tyranny
when the goverment fears the people there is liberty

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I hated when speed limits were 55...I'll pay the extra .30 a gal if it means I can get someplace TODAY!!! Non-Freeway roads around here are 45-50miles an hour... only 55 on the freeway ... I mine as well crawl. lol

Those want to go 55 stay to the right.... or those with gas hogs drive 55... I drive a 4-banger... so 55-70miles can't be that much a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mandated 55 sucks! I remember it well. Imagine driving from AZ to Atlanta at 55 having to watch your ass all the time if you are at 65. Man , that is a LONG trip.I say let people drive as fast as they can afford.There is no shortage, just price gouging . I agree that we need alternatives but, let me buy my $5.00 a gallon gas and I'll use it as I see fit.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
eh.....we have the RIGHT to move about the country freely and roads are paid with tax payer dollar$.

when the people fear the goverment there is Tyranny
when the goverment fears the people there is liberty
we do have the "right" to go anywhere we want... well pretty much.. but on a "public" road.. we no longer have that "right"... Don't think i am backing govt by any means... i'm not saying what they preach.

It's like the whole judicial system where you are guilty until proven innocent... don't get me started on that whole bag of bs lol sorry for goin off topic.

·
Banned
150 Posts
70 or 75 for cars, 55 or 60 for trucks of all kinds. Or all of us sell our homes and buy the Electric Shelby Cobra for $125000 and dont have to worry about gas and have 300WHP and 1000WTQ. 0 to 60 in 3.2 sec.

·
Registered
73 Posts
right now in SC prices are dropping to about $3.60 in some areas so its not that bad. But our roads have always been 55. but a little faster wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Personally, I think the speed will always stay at 55mph because law enforcement knows we all take it as a suggested speed. They normally won't ticket you unless you are being reckless or agressive. I think they will give you 5-10mph. That being said, you will sometimes find a cop who is not so forgiving, but you take your chances.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i voted "fine with either" because i am going to go the same spped anyways.....the only difference will be the price of the ticket if i get one!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
As it is, every American can choose to drive 55mph on the highway if he/she so desires. Compulsory speed limit reduction is about as silly as the idea that all our gas price woes could be fixed by inflating our tires!

No thanks. Bigger government is almost never the best solution...

·
Registered
574 Posts
iam from ny and for the most part the speed limit is 55 the HOV lane on the LIE theres like an un written speed limit of like 70 because its for cars with 1 or more passangers
and int he left lane cops will allow u to go faster

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think it would make much of a difference. Here in New York, most of the roads are 55 and people are driving 65-70 easily.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The IS United States of America and people will drive the speed they want. That is not to say that everyone speeds all the time. Cop or no Cop. 55 whatever. The government can impose any law they want, people are still going to do what they feel they have to do. We do need to continue to working on and eventually solve or dependacy on oil.

Government should be here to serve the people, they should fear us not the other way around.

Thats all I have to say about this topic. Thanks guys.

141 - 160 of 503 Posts