Votes: 1,167 84.3%
  • I'm fine with whichever

Votes: 130 9.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm for them enforcing the current speed limits.
All the SUVs and other vehicles running 80+ in 70 zones are a huge waste of gas.

Just came back from Shreveport and running the speed limit and I was the slow one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I believe that this a lame attempt from the government to show the people that they are doing "something". No matter what the speed limit is, whether it's set nationally or by individual states, we are going to drive the speed that we want to drive. Sure increasing the penalty will cause a few to slow down but not many. If they wanted to make a serious effort at reducing speed, they will via OBD-II (or newer versions). Offenders will stick out like sore thumbs, and cops will be able to tell whose tampered w/the settings via Bluetooth. A very ugly day is coming, only question is when...... BTW, aren't more and more cars coming w/6 & 7 speed transmissions now??

·
Registered
373 Posts
In Americas society as it stands today, it's not about imposing some half assed outdated law, it's about education. Going back to the "Americans think it's their right to drive" point, it all boils down to the individual.

Just look at society and the way people raise their children. Now i'm not saying everyone does it, so please don't missunderstand me. But if you look at the way companies have been advertising to the youth since the early 80's, it has all been about I have to have, I need to have, I deserve to have, the more money I have, the bigger car I have... ect.

I mean come on, look at television today. Reality? ok.

It has become a mentality of excess, and has been force fed to us. That mentality enables the providers of goods we think we must have to set whatever price they want. And sure, we complain, but when it really comes down to it do we care? not so much, which brings us back to the "Individual".

Any person out there who really wants to save gas, will. they will go trade in their SUV for something different, they will drive less, they will do what they have to do to make it easier for themselves in todays world.

When the Individual mentality is replaced with a mentality of collective agreement, then changes will happen.

And it all begins with the youth. Instill thoughts of change and they will blossom into actuality. It will not be something that is going to happen today or 5 years from now, but with the proper education one day...

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
^As it stands right now it is about imposing a half-assed outdated law.
AND it's about people who think driving ISN'T a right.

This is the United States of America, land of the free.
Free to drive, free to own a pink poodle, free to educate ones self and get any job he or she desires, free to say or believe or worship the way you want.

This "Individual mentality" being "replaced with a mentality of collective agreement" is what thinking people call brainwashing by a hitler-esque government.

Freedom of speech disappears when freedom of thought is taken away.

SVT_ME you need to look back at your post and realize how completely opposite your view is to the way America was founded.

America was built on the foundation of personal liberty and "individual mentality".

Take that away and you have China.

·
Registered
373 Posts
^As it stands right now it is about imposing a half-assed outdated law.
AND it's about people who think driving ISN'T a right.

This is the United States of America, land of the free.
Free to drive, free to own a pink poodle, free to educate ones self and get any job he or she desires, free to say or believe or worship the way you want.

This "Individual mentality" being "replaced with a mentality of collective agreement" is what thinking people call brainwashing by a hitler-esque government.

Freedom of speech disappears when freedom of thought is taken away.

SVT_ME you need to look back at your post and realize how completely opposite your view is to the way America was founded.

America was built on the foundation of personal liberty and "individual mentality".

Take that away and you have China.
It seems i have been misunderstood here. I know what it means to be American, and am well aware of the rights and freedoms that affords us. I am certainly no communist.

Let me clarify the meaning of some of my statements.

By individual mentality, I meant the Me Me Me school of thought, not don't think as an individual. that is F---ing crazy. Everyone should think as an individual, but also realize they are not alone.

"Individual mentality" being "replaced with a mentality of collective agreement" simply means thinking of others and realizing that we all need to accept the problem before the problem can be resolved.

To accuse me of saying we should take away individual thought is obsurd. Let me again reiterate my love for my country and my understanding of what America is. With 2 friends killed in combat and 3 family members currently fighting, believe me when i say i know what it is to be American.

And if you have the awareness to see it or not, our government is brainwashing us everyday, through the media and other sources.

I meant no disrespect to any of you patriots out there. Mearly misunderstood.

And Duke, you seem very keen on rights. If you read the whole post you would realize that it meant nothing of how you took it, because you took the snipets you wanted out of context and twisted them in to some wierd "You're hitler" interpretation. You're entitled to your opinion but please, as a thinking person, look at the whole picture.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't mean it that way, but you can understand why I took what you said the way I did.
The very liberal left is pushing for the elimination of the idea of the individual (in fact it's being taught in school), so when you said "When the Individual mentality is replaced with a mentality of collective agreement" you can see how it could be interpreted.

Please thank your friends and family for me for their service [:)]

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
I am 100% against the 55mph speed limit. I do like the idea of having an official slow lane. All over the contry today, the left lane is the fast lane and slower vehicles stay to the right. It has worked for years, lets just make it official so those drivers out there that don't know the difference between slow and fast lanes don't have any room to get pissed off when they tray and drive 80mph in the slow lane....

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
AAA has already done statistics on the 55 mph speed limit. Its slow enough to give you a false sense of safety but fast enough to kill you. I personally would like to see 'autobahn' style sections of roadway, away from urban areas obviously, where it would be unlimited speed in the fast lane with the other lanes for the low performance driver....er....I mean....less enthusiastic driver!

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
i get better gas mileage at 70.

lets raise it to 70 nationwide......[hihi]
55 would drive me outa my mind not to mention my mpg would suffer quite a bit. a few years back i drove to montana from northern Maine and when going through some backwards state that was all 55 mph , got my worst milage...about 28 mpg not to mention it took me forever to get across that state, then when i stepped up to about 90 my milage went as high as 37 mpg...must be a sweet spot in the rpm range in 5th gear!
I can deal with the current 75....ish

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
A couple of points, some of which are pet peeves of mine and I freely admit that.

1. There are fewer fatalities because of a lower speed limit as cars are built to WITHSTAND those kinds of impacts.

This is uniformly an INCORRECT statement. There is no evidence whatsoever to support that "speed kills". All of the traffic surveys and accident analysis point to the fact that speed was NOT the cause of an accident. Fatalities are caused by poor judgement, mechanical failure or environmental interference. A car traveling at 70MPH and runs a red light in a 35MPH zone. Speed did not cause a fatality. Running the red light did. A single car accident on a highway where a car traveling at 90 MPH rolled because it got 2 wheels off in the soft shoulder that results in a death was not caused by the speed, but rather the driver's loss of control and leaving the road surface. In either scenario, the result could result in a fatality, but the speed was NOT the cause of the accident. Ergo, so was the fatality.

The cars themselves do not WITHSTAND impacts either. They are designed to absorb/deflect kinetic energy away from the occupants. This is why crumple zones were invented. That's why cars are so expensive to repair. In the mid 70's and earlier, the larger car gave a sense of safety when the reality is that most fatalities were the result of blunt force trauma from impact to the steering wheel or other portion of the car's interior. The old saying is true. "It's not the crash, it's the sudden stop."

2. States should be left to set their own laws. This is true to an extent. However, the Federal Government has mandate and uniform acceptance by all of the states to structure their traffic laws within the framework established by the Department of Transportation under the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). This includes speed limits and speed limit signs. The Federal Government requires that engineering traffic surveys be conducted on ALL federal and state highways and streets every 5 years to evaluate and adjust speed limits where necessary (Remember this fact the next time you get a speeding ticket. IF a survey hasn't been conducted in more than 5 years, the speed limit is unenforceable under federal law).

3. Driving is not a RIGHT. It is a privledge. There is nothing within the Constitution or any other document that expresses this as an individual freedom. Under the law, driving is NOT an expression of free will, free speech, or any other right granted to us in the first 12 amendments to the constitution.

Now, with that said, I do NOT support a nationwide 55MPH speed limit, but I do think that speed limits are necessary. We, as a nation, do not have the infrastructure needed to support high speed travel on interstates. There is too much congestion, not enough driver training (our license process is a JOKE when compared to Europe), and not enough consequence for violations. If you think fines here are steep, try breaking a traffic law in Germany or Switzerland. License suspension, revocation, JAIL TIME and hefty fines ($1000+) apply to even the most "minor" of infractions. Here, only a few infractions carry jail time or hefty fines.

Sorry to get off on a rant....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The whole idea behind this 55mph proposal, is to reduce the overall gasoline usage in this country......which it will to a small degree if the limit is enforced strictly. Sure a minor percentage of cars get slightly better MPG at 65mph....but very few.

The latest.....smaller gasoline stations are closing in droves all over the country. Apparently has to do with profit margins getting smaller and smaller, the increased use of credit cards for gasoline purchases (which costs stations extra), the up-front costs of having the station's tanks refilled, and the decreasing profits from the snack bars (who can afford to buy food there after filling the tank).

The result of fewer stations....higher cost of gasoline due to lessened competition.

We need to immediately reduce gas consumption.....even if it means driving slower, and arriving a few minutes later.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
3. Driving is not a RIGHT. It is a privledge. There is nothing within the Constitution or any other document that expresses this as an individual freedom. Under the law, driving is NOT an expression of free will, free speech, or any other right granted to us in the first 12 amendments to the constitution.
Gotta disagree on this one point, but everything else you said was right on.

The Constitution was put in place to spell out how the government should be run and to restrict government. It was not to grant our individual rights and freedoms. I'm free to walk down the street, but the Constitution doesn't say I have that right. Same thing with driving or riding a horse.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
The whole idea behind this 55mph proposal, is to reduce the overall gasoline usage in this country......which it will to a small degree if the limit is enforced strictly. Sure a minor percentage of cars get slightly better MPG at 65mph....but very few.

We need to immediately reduce gas consumption.....even if it means driving slower, and arriving a few minutes later.
No, we need to immediately start drilling in our own country.
The only reason OPEC is able to deliberately decrease output and set the price of oil at $140 a barrel is because they have us over a barrel.
They have no real competition in the oil market.
We have more oil in Alaska alone than Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Venezuela all combined.

Starting drilling now will make OPEC increase supply and lower prices so they can stay competitive.

And the "10 years" it will take for us to get our own drilled oil is BS. It would be 2 - 3 years max until our newly drilled oil hits the market.

Plus we have capped oil wells all over the midwest that we aren't allowed to touch because of environmental restrictions.

All we have to do there is start pumping.

Supply isn't the problem. Government regulations and restrictions are.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
I'm against it. Drivers can make their own choice if they want to go slower than the current posted speed limit, down to the minimum. If they want to go the posted limit or faster and burn more gas on their trip, it's their money not mine. If memory serves, one of the main reasons that speed limits were increased in the first place was because people were driving that fast on them anyways. It's a bad idea, I think.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Im with MisterJohnson. We need to kill all the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g liberals that dont want us to drill off of California and Alaska and then start the drilling :) They have studies say that the US can drill enough oil to reduce gas prices below 2$ and last us over 100 years. I dont know if this is true, but the US drilling its on oil is the right direction.

41 - 60 of 503 Posts