Votes: 1,167 84.3%
  • I'm fine with whichever

Votes: 130 9.4%

• Total voters
501 - 503 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
While we're on the subject of fuel economy, why don't we start investing into diesel technology instead of just sticking with gasoline? We can keep our speed limit but we'll still be driving cleaner MPG-wise instead of just going hybrid or electric. Not that I don't support the latter option though...

·
Registered
150 Posts
in Alabama the governor wants to raise gas prices 10 cents to pay for better road conditions...
You're not alone. Our governor wants an 8 cent per gallon increase, making the total gas tax 40.9 cents per gallon. That still beats toll roads, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I feel like nowadays with 12 gear automatic transmissions, we aren't as concerned with fuel economy when going above 60. I did some tests on my dads truck, and we actually got better fuel economy setting cruise at 80, than we did at 60 (it allowed the truck to get higher in revs and shut off half the engine) I know that this was originally made 11 years ago, but I think that this is still relevant. The 55 MPH rules in a lot of states is antiquated, and in most cases accidents are caused by someone going TOO SLOW causing someone else on the road (who may have been going too fast) to overreact and cause issues. If there were more SPEED MINIMUMS I think roads would be much safer.

For example, there are always accidents and backed up lanes when I leave work due to merging, people who are merging in are merging close to 20MPH BELOW the speed limit, so the people already on the road have to slow down drastically, big trucks, Semis, and heavier vehicles can't always react to a 20mph speed change as suddenly as needed. Merging drivers NEED to accelerate and get to speed before turning on their blinker and merging in. Also, someone did a study a while back that a vehicle going 10MPH slower than the speed of traffic in Cali can cause up to a 3 hour delay. In NY and Cali there are laws about going too slow, in Cali if there are 5 or more cars behind a vehicle, and there is open road ahead of the first vehicle, the first vehicle is required to pull over and let vehicles by. In NY there are some minimum speed limits on i-90, but I personally think there aren't enough.

501 - 503 of 503 Posts