Votes: 1,167 84.3%
  • I'm fine with whichever

Votes: 130 9.4%

• Total voters
481 - 500 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
i dont mind a 60mph limit, but not 55. ill never get anywhere going 55,lol.
The NMSL (National Maximum Speed Limit) was originally supposed to be 60 mph. The story I've heard from multiple sources is that the government decided on 55 instead of 60 because 55 gave the marketing people a better slogan:

Stay Alive, Drive 55.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Sounds like an Urban Legend.

Speed limits on country roads were typically 55, as they still are. (Yes, I remember 50 MPH)

National limit was set to match that on all roads AFAIK, only story remembered from the time.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well. It is now 2017. I can remember the situations when Bush was leaving office and Obama was sworn in. Not very good. But now Obama is leaving and Trump is now being placed in. What do you guys still think?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
I don't think the same Guy who wants more drilling/mining and less regulation would give two cents over how much fuel you use or how fast you drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
no one even drives below 70 on the freeway lol an im goin 80 half the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I have somewhere to go I typically cruise at 70 and if I'm in a hurry I'm doing 80. Speed limits are irrelevant because nobody is going to heed them anyway. You can't even get people to correctly drive in the various lanes. How many times have you passed some jack ass doing 60 in the fast lane with 10 cars stacked up behind him? Now I do sometimes drive 55 to 65 in the slow lane if I'm in no hurry at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The last time they (Reagan) tried this, all our new cars got speedos with a federally mandated max readout of 80 mph.

Imagine that in an ST or an RS !

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm more interested in a speed limit that most people would actually drive at.
It is far safer on the highways if the differential in speeds between vehicles is low.

At 55mph speed limit, you would have some people driving 53mph while others drive 75-80mph.
I believe that a 65 or 70mph speed limit would narrow that gap for most cars on the highway.
Today's cars are more aerodynamic and suffer less drag at those speeds than our older cars. Still more efficient at 55mpg, but I think the safety of 65-70 outweighs the fuel mileage for me.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If we are going to drive that slow please kill me because there's no point of a car if 55 is the max. Might as well drive a fuel injected lawn mower to work. Personally I say the hell with speed limits on the interstate.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
I go about 10 mph over the flow of traffic so either way Im usually speeding and trying not to get killed by people not using turn signals. Welcome to Cali

·
Registered
150 Posts
Has Jimmy Carter been reincarnated? Wait, he's not even dead yet.

Sammy Hagar fought this oppression back in the 80's. Just like a Sith lord, or crabgrass, it keeps coming back!!

481 - 500 of 503 Posts