• I'm fine with whichever

Votes: 130 9.4%

• Total voters
461 - 480 of 503 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Have you ever driven the autobahn?

I have the RIGHT to not be killed by a POS trying to drive above their abilities. There is a lot more to factor in than just putting your foot down.
Was in Stuttgart,Germany for only 2 weeks when i was there, i rode public transport most of the time , but the autobahn didn't seem dangerous to me. had a few runs on the A8 in a friends Bimmer

then drive in the slow lane.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know 60 mph is about 98 km/h... I couldn't stand 55 mph. Seems like a cash cow for photo radar and law enforcement. There's a highway between Edmonton and Calgary called the QEII (Queen Elizabeth II, formerly known as Highway 2). As it's the only direct route between the two provincial hubs, the limit is 110 km/h (68 mph). Nearly everyone speeds on it, I've been passed by some guy doing 140, 150 (87, 93 mph). Some in Gov't want it increased to 120 (75 mph) like a highway in BC... I can't imagine the uproar in Alberta, let alone the rest of the nation if highway speeds were limited to 88km/h, I have a hard enough time with the 80 down the Township road to Cardiff!

·
Registered
191 Posts
This 55 MPH saves you gas "fact" is bull with some cars.

I pay attention to my avg MPG in my 3rd gen Focus and I get my best in-city mileage at 45 MPH, and my best highway mileage around 70 MPH (72 to be exact).

When I actually lock in the cruise control at the 60 MPH speed limit my avg MPG actually levels out at about 0.2 MPG lower than if I lock it in at 72. And if I slow it down to 55 my MPG lingers around 0.3 MPG lower than at 70.

This may be due to the shift points and RPM's involved with the DCT. It may be something with the aerodynamics of the newer Focus at higher speeds. It may be highly dependent on outside temperature and road conditions. A lot might be factoring in... All i know is that my best MPG's are seen at 45 and 72...

This MPG trend was observed in my 2012 and am seeing it still in my 2014 fwiw.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have observed better fuel economy at 120 than 110, 120 is about 70 mph

·
Registered
81 Posts
This 55 MPH saves you gas "fact" is bull with some cars.

I pay attention to my avg MPG in my 3rd gen Focus and I get my best in-city mileage at 45 MPH, and my best highway mileage around 70 MPH (72 to be exact).

When I actually lock in the cruise control at the 60 MPH speed limit my avg MPG actually levels out at about 0.2 MPG lower than if I lock it in at 72. And if I slow it down to 55 my MPG lingers around 0.3 MPG lower than at 70.

This may be due to the shift points and RPM's involved with the DCT. It may be something with the aerodynamics of the newer Focus at higher speeds. It may be highly dependent on outside temperature and road conditions. A lot might be factoring in... All i know is that my best MPG's are seen at 45 and 72...

This MPG trend was observed in my 2012 and am seeing it still in my 2014 fwiw.
The average "sweet spot" for highway MPG on most early to mid-1970s cars was around 60 to 62 mph. I've heard rumors over the years that the principal reason 55 was chosen instead of 60 for the NMSL was for PR reasons - anyone remember the old jingle "Stay Alive - Drive 55"?

By the 1980s, however, engine technology had been improved to the point that the average MPG "sweet spot" was now around 65 to 70 mph. The mid 1990s saw the MPG "sweet spot" increase again, now to around 70 to 75 mph.

My personal experience with cars I've driven over the years tends to reflect this. While I am considered by relatives and friends to be a conservative driver, I am by no means a "granny" at the wheel, especially when I'm on the Interstate. Until 1987, I drove my parent's cars (large mid-1970s GM road behemoths), and found the best highway mileage to be about 58 mph. My 1984 Tempo's MPG "sweet spot" was about 66 mph, whereas my 1989 Prelude and my 1999 Contour got their best highway mileage at about 70 mph. My 2012 Focus SE's MPG "sweet spot" is about 73 mph. (all the prior cars mentioned had automatic transmission, and the 2012 Focus has the DCT).

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I do believe I've had my history lesson for the day....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know I get the same at 70 as 60. IMO 55MPH speed limits are dangerous. long drives drivers get board, their mind wanders they do not have to pay attetion lumbering along at such low speeds. I typically drive 75~90 on I15 thats a 70mph zone (flow of traffic) and over 500k miles now. Im assuimg had I driven 55 all the time I would have been "milti tasking" and would have been involved in some kind of fender bender

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Well,obviously that 55mph bill died a long time ago so what is the point debating this anymore? Speed limits didn't change and many states in more rural areas have upped the limits.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can remember back during the 70's when there were long line because of gas rationing and when the national speed limit was 55. It took forever to get anywhere long distance. It was also when cars got crappy gas mileage. Because of the advancement in car's engines, aerodynamics, transmissions, and emissions , I feel there's no need to impose another national limit

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I don't know about you guys.But at 70-75mph is when every single one of my vehicles has gotten best fuel mileage (not sure about the 2015)

1997 neon - 40mpg consistently at 70-75mph 75 miles round trip up and back 271 for 5 years It may have been saving fuel by fuel injectors not injecting fuel all the time.

2006 Focus - Best tank was 46mpg 90mph with a strong tail wind on a 100 mile stretch of 30.

2006 Trailblazer 28mpg 70mph on 71 to Columbus 118 miles shortly after the speed limit was raised

2012 Elantra - 44 mpg 80mph WVA Turnpike.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
i dont mind a 60mph limit, but not 55. ill never get anywhere going 55,lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When driving longer distances such as a trip from Los Angeles to Seattle. You would be looking at a few hours longer to go from one destination to another. Time is a valuable commodity.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I like to cruise at 68 in the 65s. It's a leave-me-alone speed that still lets me get around grandpas, towed campers, and speed regulated trucks, and an excuse to stay in the left lane as long as I'm passing people.

Because technically you're not supposed to go above the posted limit even in the fast lane, I have no requirement to go any faster no matter how much people get ticked off.

I get over when there's nothing ahead, but constant lane changes are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
650 Posts
As a rule I don't speed. If I pass you, then you're not moving. I've just completed the A.A.A. Defensive driving course to get a discount on my insurance, and they note that it is not the "speed" per-se that causes crashes, as much as the differences in speed on the highway. If everyone is driving 80 and there is too much traffic for me to drive the limit even in the right lane, I'd match everyone else's speed.
What annoys me the most are drivers who act as if they are in a video game with the constant lane changes to get past as many drivers as they can.
I tell my wife not to drive lower than the speed limit unless conditions require it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
In texas highway speed is 70. Interstate is 80-85. Hell no to 55 again.

My 02 c5 vette 5.7L got 30+mpg at 80 mph. 21+ at 120+(tampa to fort myers drive one night)

My 1.0 ecoboost gets 50 + mpg 74-84 mpg on interstate. Not much different than at 55

Accelerating is what kills mpg. My c5 Floored showed instant mpg of under 1 mpg, the 1.0 floored shows 8mpg.

Once your are holding a steady speed your mpg stays steady, that breaking point between steady good mpg and lower mpg varies per car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,398 Posts
State law up here in Washington= $136. ticket for going slow in the left lane, tack on another $27. for 1-6 slower. Got to be passing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
70+ is ideal. I'm from Southern California and people here in WA drive

t-o-o. f***i-n-g. s-l-o-w.

It's not me. It's them. My driving record is a virgin. Before moving here, I never used my horn. Upon moving here, I didn't even know the thing worked until I had to use it more regularly.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,398 Posts
70+ is ideal. I'm from Southern California and people here in WA drive

t-o-o. f***i-n-g. s-l-o-w.

It's not me. It's them. My driving record is a virgin. Before moving here, I never used my horn. Upon moving here, I didn't even know the thing worked until I had to use it more regularly.
The freeways don't help for sure,,,,,,,,,Like they were built in the '60's & not upgraded for the flow.

461 - 480 of 503 Posts