Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2,272 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, google turned up no results. What is a speed whole?

Wait, are you talking about holes you put in your car to make it go faster?

I did this to my old focus. I placed them on the hood (near the edges), front bumper, both fenders, left quarter panel, trunk lid, rear bumper cover, right quarter panel, both rocker panels and the a pillars (DONT put them on the roof). Made a huge difference. Before it took sooo long to get to speed on the freeway but after the holes I was able to pass 350z's and c5 corvettes without a problem.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
ive seen hondas with holes in the back bumper to reduce drag... or it couldve been a dumb trend with no point.

maybe look into underbody trays or splitters?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Ditto dumb trend^^ unless u drive over 150mph they are useless just like there pretty little cute tow hooks lol.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I wondered why my car seem to be getting faster with age. It must be the speed/rust holes. [hihi]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really have no clue what speed wholes are either. Or if there some made up ricer thing. Just opening my mind to diff. ideas....If im going to reduce weight in my car and want to keep it my DD. Where could metal be taken out? Every thing behind the seat is gone already.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Hmmm, speed holes, I assume you mean the holes that the civic drivers like to put in their bumper covers? Complete waste of time, probably makes you slower. You would be better off with the previously mentioned underbody tray/covers. A front air dam is probably the best mod you can make for a top speed event.

In the back there are certainly some mounting brackets you could cut out, guess it depends on if you ever want to go back to stock or not. Cutting holes in a unibody car won’t get you very far though!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I really have no clue what speed wholes are either. Or if there some made up ricer thing. Just opening my mind to diff. ideas....If im going to reduce weight in my car and want to keep it my DD. Where could metal be taken out? Every thing behind the seat is gone already.
If your looking to save weight and have already striped the interior, the next best thing to do would be lighter wheels and maybe lighter body panels. I wouldn't start chopping up your body or you may lessen you structural rigidity.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually, the HOLES in the front are generally there for more airflow to the radiator and/or intercooler and if done right are effective even at highway speeds.

The holes in the rear are there to relieve pressure that is captured in the bumper at higher speeds which will reduce drag. This is usually done on track-only cars and has little use on the street.

FYI- not all track cars do 150 mph, tighter courses don't allow that high of a speed, but don't you think aerodynamics have a role even at 50mph? Think about it. [:D]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
this is very true. And as you can see, that posted civic is boosted.

I know I have seen some with those holes for no reason other than to look like its that fast.

·
Registered
401 Posts
OMG! SD_FOCUS that is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time BRAVO!!! BTW Painting your hood black makes it go faster too.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
OMG! SD_FOCUS that is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time BRAVO!!! BTW Painting your hood black makes it go faster too.
[chair]lmao dont NOs stickers add like 20 hp? and steering wheel covers 15hp? [read]

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Swiss cheesing your car goes way back to the early days of hot rodding. Sometimes for aerodynamic reasons but mostly for weight reduction. Now hole sawing "speed wholes" into a car for looks only is the definition of rice-Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually, the HOLES in the front are generally there for more airflow to the radiator and/or intercooler and if done right are effective even at highway speeds.

The holes in the rear are there to relieve pressure that is captured in the bumper at higher speeds which will reduce drag. This is usually done on track-only cars and has little use on the street.

FYI- not all track cars do 150 mph, tighter courses don't allow that high of a speed, but don't you think aerodynamics have a role even at 50mph? Think about it. [:D]
Good points..
I'd think sealing up your front end would be better than cutting holes in it. A sealed front end gives less drag. If you think you can benefit from rear speed holes, just pull the rear bumper and see if it makes a difference (look at some of the nascars and you'll see that rear bumpers are much higher than the front allowing the air trapped under the car to escape). You can also close the bottom of the car up with some coroplast and that would probably be a better solution (check sign shops for coroplast it's cheap and you can cover the entire bottom of your car for under $50). Closing the bottom of your car will show better aerodynamics than the holes in the rear because the moving air stays stuck to the car and releases much smoother. Speed holes in the back will create a dirty aero wake, most likely causing your car to not see as much of an improvement. Link for underbody belly pan write-up with improved mpgs/ areo

Rear bumper basically chopped and sealed from bottom to allow release of airflow out back.

Front of Nascar sealed and slammed pushing air over and around car. Grill block is shrunk and sealed for minimal impact with exact air cooling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good points..
I'd think sealing up your front end would be better than cutting holes in it. A sealed front end gives less drag. If you think you can benefit from rear speed holes, just pull the rear bumper and see if it makes a difference (look at some of the nascars and you'll see that rear bumpers are much higher than the front allowing the air trapped under the car to escape). You can also close the bottom of the car up with some coroplast and that would probably be a better solution (check sign shops for coroplast it's cheap and you can cover the entire bottom of your car for under $50). Closing the bottom of your car will show better aerodynamics than the holes in the rear because the moving air stays stuck to the car and releases much smoother. Speed holes in the back will create a dirty aero wake, most likely causing your car to not see as much of an improvement. Link for underbody belly pan write-up with improved mpgs/ areo
l

Right, but I only meant holes on the front are there for additional cooling. Whether it be intercooler or radiator. The rear holes may not benefit aerodynamics as much as covering the underside of the car but you can still see an improvement. That was my point. Of course there are better ways to do it but if its a tight budget or a rule loop-hole in a racing class, people will do it and benefit from it if done right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts