Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?|] Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes. The problem occurs whenever the speed control turns off going up a hill with out me turning it off. I then downshift and the car wants to redline, whenever you push in the clutch. I tried turning the car off, didn't work, so I dropped it off at the dealer on my way to work. They told me that the IAC was the problem, that it was stuck open. Took them 15 days to tell me that. 2 hours to fix. So I came up the same hill and it happened again. This time I played with the speed control buttons and it quit doing it. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer again because of how "smart" they are there. Has anyone else had this happen to them???? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry WD. Wrong Place. One other thing though it only happens with my SVTF, never with the ZTS.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to ”Ford Focus Technical Chat”...

That problem sounds more like a bad Clutch Position Sensor Switch. [dunno]
Check the switches (2 of them) that are attached just below the clutch lever pivot point under the dash.
Make sure they're connected properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I checked my switches everything is tight and secure, any other suggestions??? Thanks

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? If so, look at the top of the clutch pedal, there should be a multi-position switch that's either green or red (can't remember which) that has a gray plunger coming out of it. There should be four posts in the socket, check the circuits with the volt meter; one set of posts should have their circuit completed as soon as the clutch leaves the top position and the other should complete when the clutch reaches the bottom of its travel (when the plunger is fully depressed.) Also, if it doesn't turn off after hitting the brakes there is another similar switch that interfaces with the brake pedal and does the same thing. I'd suggest checking both of those, because the actuator isn't getting the "kill" command from one/both of those switches...its doing the same thing the cruise system does when you pull the shifter out of gear without first tapping the brake or pushing the clutch in. If it doesn't get a kill command from either pedal or the steering wheel button it just assumes that the car is still in gear and holds the throttle open (and probably tries to compensate for diminishing speed by opening the throttle even further, hitting redline.) If both switches are working, I'd suspect either the wiring harness or the actuator itself. But I'd just take it back to the dealer and tell them that they were wrong and its not fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts