Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how much the steel Spec flywheel weights? or should i just spend the extra money and get the aluminum flywheel?
thanks for all the help guys
Darius​

·
Registered
247 Posts
i did not know that they made steel ones but either way aluminum!!!!! it will make your car very fun. but ive also heard that it tends to make sounds in the SVT

·
Registered
95 Posts
spec does have a steel and aluminum option. I have the steel version and i like it. The steel flywheel weighs somewhere between 12 and 20 pounds i think. probably more like 17 or so roughly. Sorry i dont know the exact weight!!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^That's good to know that they make steel one.
Is it quieter than the aluminum? (chatter in neutral)

The stock SVT flywheel is ~25lbs, so if the Spec steel one comes in at 17lbs,
that's still a rather substantial "rotating mass" weight savings.

You sure you don't want to rip apart your tranny so you can weigh it for us? [:D] [eek]

·
Registered
95 Posts
haha id rather not lol.... um idk about the chatter cause i dont know how bad the aluminum flywheel chatters...but the steel one does chatter some. its not that bad tho so i can handle it

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
spec sucks. just had another friend break a spec clutch. it was a stage 3 in a sr20 turbo 240sx that would hold allegedly like 450hp. his 250hp car broke it to where the car wont move in any gear. ive seen so many cars burn and break spec's that are WAAY under the rating spec puts on them. ill never buy anything from them. i drive mine like its stolen and i have had the stock luk non tsb replacement in it for about 15,000 miles with no probs.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
spec sucks. just had another friend break a spec clutch. it was a stage 3 in a sr20 turbo 240sx that would hold allegedly like 450hp. his 250hp car broke it to where the car wont move in any gear. ive seen so many cars burn and break spec's that are WAAY under the rating spec puts on them. ill never buy anything from them. i drive mine like its stolen and i have had the stock luk non tsb replacement in it for about 15,000 miles with no probs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
everyone i know has had nothing but good things to say about spec...and i have had no problems with my spec stage 2

·
Registered
806 Posts
steel is quieter than aluminum, but wont offer the same gains.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
steel will offer the same gains. its all in what kinda driving you do. aluminum revs up faster due to less rotating mass, but what everyone doesnt understand is it rev's down faster too and takes the engine out of the powerband between shifts faster. aluminum only helps if your into auto crossing where you gas it and let out alot and gear down and up alot. if your into pulling out onto a straight and bangin thru the gears and just hauling ass billet steel is much better than aluminum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts