Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i know its been talked about i just cant find anything on the search. Im replacing stock speakers but i dont know what to go for. Some people have told me to go with a circle speaker, some have said stick with the square (5x7/6x8). I have plenty of bass i just need LOUD replacements. I have an 600 watt 4 channel amp to run them. I mainly listen to metal so i need LLLOOOUUUDDDDD!!! Please help guys! What shoud i do?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
1) What head unit do you have?

2) What make and model is your amp?
I'm sure 600w is the Peak rating. We need to know the RMS rating.

3) What is your budget for the speakers?

4) Since you want it loud, I assume you want front and rear speakers?

5) What is your budget for the speakers? [;)]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let's see...

600 watts. That probably means 150 watts each channel, and that likely further means only about 60-75 watts each channel of honest-to-goodness, clean and usable RMS power.

Assuming the door cutouts really are for 6"x8" (apparently, not all 2003 ZX3s have the same size cutout), I need to know how much you are willing to pay. Typically, the oval speakers tend to have higher power handling capacity (cones are more resistant to shattering at high volume), so unless you have a compelling reason why to go round, I would stick with the oval, if for no other reason, ease of installation.

If you are willing to pay ($149.99 per pair at Crutchfield.com), the Infinity Kappa 682.7cf is well worth a look. They are very stout in construction, rated up to 100 watts each RMS (300 watts each peak), and also are quite efficient (94dBw), producing lots of sound per watt. And they are thin enough to easily fit matching pairs in both front AND rear locations. The tweeter levels are adjustable to the desired treble level and the tweeters themselves can be pivoted to position them for optimal high-frequency dispersion.

These don't come with grilles. The assumption is that you will use the factory grilles. These speakers are well-made, good-sounding, tough and efficient. The only bad thing is their price!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The typical Ford speaker size is all the same. 5x7 and 6x8 have the same mounting holes, so both work.

Your information is backwards. Round speakers are more capable. Oval speakers will tend to distort at higher levels before a round design. That's one of the reasons you don't see anything other than round cones in almost every speaker out there, pro or consumer.

The only advantage of the oval stock size over a round 6.5" woofer is simply more cone surface, thus leading to more 'potential' output. But for SQ, especially at a high level of output, I'd suggest round. Depending on the budget, 7" or 8" woofers will be the suggested round drivers to go with.

If the budget is low, then a set of four 5x7/6x8 speakers all the way around will be fine. Those Infinity's will work with an amp since they are 2 ohm drivers, but will not work with head units. I've also heard good things about the Polk MMC570 speakers. If you go with the stock size, then make sure to get a 2-way only, and that it has a good .75" or 1" tweeter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts