Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2003 ZX3, I ordered the Apline CDA-9813 cd Ai changer and CHA-S634 6 disc cd changer. (All under 550, I love E-bay) Anyway, I want to look for speakers, I was thinking about the top Apline speakers, but I don't know the speaker sizes in front and in the rear. Ig someone could help me with the sizes and if these are good speakers for sound. I am looking for less bass and more mid and highs (but want a nice over all sound, I will be investing in subs in the future.)

·
Registered
966 Posts
the speakers in the focus are 5x7. but a 6x8 will fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
speaker size

they are 6x8. but, i wouldnt necessarily get 6x8 speakers . components are a little more expensive, but they are the way to go. you need speaker adapters to fit them though. the adapters run about 6 dollars a set. you can get them at www.mjmautoinnovations.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yep, you are better off with some nice components. I listened to the top Alpine components before in a demo room and they sounded very nice. Get a 5 1/4" set to the front, it's very easy to install with the adapter plates. To the back get some nice 5x7/6x8 (both will work) coaxials from Alpine, those should be plenty enough.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I believe it's alpine or infinity, or both that make component 2pc 6x8 speakers... just food for thought, better than going through the trouble of converting over, if i didn't have a warranty on my old speakers and was forced to buy new 5.25 components, i would had spent the money on 6x8's elseware.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
just a word of advice if you decide to go with 5.25" components: get (or make) good adapter plates! i bought some plastic ones that sucked! the speaker rattled loose out of both sides in about a year. i replaced the with some ones i made from masonite, but the damage was already done. they're blown.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go for 6.5" rounds aint no big deal to get an adapter, you get a little more mid base this way. If you are going to do it, then get the most bang for your buck.

If you can't deal with the adapter, Boston Acoustics makes a new component based plate that will drop right into the factory location. You will get more for your money with components......Steve

·
Registered
309 Posts
In case of Boston Acoustics, you can also get in the higher end models axis-mounts as well like the one bellow. This is what I have and it sounds awesome. Just to give you some more options.

·
Registered
309 Posts
They go for 440 a pair MSRP, but I got them for 300 at Good Guys with 3 years of warranty as they discontinued to carry them [:D]

I have them for the front and rear as well bc they were relatively cheap. I live in UTC, so if you want to take a listen, drop me a pm [thumb]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
"relatively cheap?" compared to what? i mean, i know boston is good stuff but DAMN!

i'd love to hear your setup sometime, but i'm stuck up here in SLO for quite a while with work, school, and all.

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, true. I compared them to some MB Quart, Focal, Diamond and DynAudio speakers. Compared to them it was relatively cheap and provided some very clean and nice sound [;)]

Let me know when you are around and we can meet up somewhere [thumb]

·
Registered
705 Posts
Damn lots of cash but if you decide not to go all out infity does make a nice 5x7 component. Or just a regular 5x7 i dotn think i am goingt o go with components cause i havent seen a nice install cept in the a-pillar but that isnt my style.

Sorry to thread jack but where are the tweeters in the audiophile system ??

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
If your going to run componets i'd suggest getting an amp to power them. They won't be much better than any other type of speaker if it's getting the same power. Componets need power to shine. If you are going to amp them, get these:

http://thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html

There's the best for your money by far. These speakers are amazing for $150. I'd suggest making your own adapter plates though. not too hard if you have a jigsaw or something like that. 1/2 inch MDF wood is best for this but most likely you don't have any around but any type of wood is better than plastic. You get more bass from the seakers if the door is sealed better. This is one helping way.

If your not going to amp them, if you don't already have an aftermarket headunit, get one. This would be 50 times better than getting new speakers. A nice aftermarket HU can range from $90 to $200 (cd) and $150 to $300 (mp3).

That's my $.02. Hope it helped.

- Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts