Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are coaxial speakers with built in crossovers and there are coaxial and component speakers with seperate crossovers. Where are you guys installing your crossovers? If I had a setup such as a 4 channel amp and 2 pairs of 5x7's with seperate crossovers, do I just stuff them in the doors somewhere or what? Or would it just be better to run some 5x7's with built in crossovers. This system would have no subs now or later, ever. I have been looking at some coaxial JBL's. MSRP in Canadian money would be $250/pr. for some with seperate crossovers and $150/pr. with built in crossovers. What do you think?

·
Registered
228 Posts
outboard crossovers allow the manufacturer to build in better components because they have more room to work with. They will however require more power. If you're going to use an amplifier, go with the outboard crossovers, if not, stick with the regular coaxials.

Also, LISTEN to the 2, you might like the regular coax better!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
installman said:
outboard crossovers allow the manufacturer to build in better components because they have more room to work with. They will however require more power. If you're going to use an amplifier, go with the outboard crossovers, if not, stick with the regular coaxials.

Also, LISTEN to the 2, you might like the regular coax better!!
Advice noted, but where do I put the outboard crossovers if I take that route. 1 pair in the front and 1 pair in the rear. Where do I mount the outboard crossovers. I don't want them to be visible and I don't want them rattling inside the door panel and there will not be a sub box to mount stuff to.

There will be a new HU, a fairly hefty amp, and 2 pairs of 5x7's. Thats it. Where do the outboard crossovers usually get mounted?

Or should I just go with regular coaxials with built in crossovers since I am not building a systen with subs.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
mount them next to the amp

or mount them on top of the foam insert, or cut out the foam insert in the door to place them
just remember, if they are in the doors, you can't get to them (if they have adjustments)

you can also mount them to the door metal

I still suggest mounting them next to the amp.

on sub:

in dooor foam cutouts:

on foam:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pictures. Having them inside the door, have you ever had a problem with them rattling or breaking. The reason I ask, from looking at your pictures, you have mounted them in such a place as everytime you slam your door, they would no doubt take the full force when closing. Whereas, the speaker is much closer to the hinge where there is less impact. Does this make sense. The more I think about it, coaxials with built in crossovers may be the way to go for me. Less money and less hassles and hopefully can still sound good.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
those are my early trials, but they fit just fine because they are so big, they fit snug against the door panel

as said earlier, external X-overs for amplified, straight up coaxials for HU power

you absolutely want the better speakers with better ext x-overs if you plan to use an amp

and you want a 2-way speaker with a 1" tweeter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts