Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I went to my local pick-a-part yesterday and got some parts. I have a pair of 6" rounds I really really love. I picked up a pair of front kick panels for $4 yesterday and want to go about grafting those speakers on to those.

Has any one done something like this? I have some fiberglassing experience. Any advice or pictures would be great! Can't wait to get them in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's the short version.

You are going to have to increase the size of the kicks, as they are rather small.

1. Scuff the 'new' kicks with some 80-100 grit sandpaper so the fiberglass will stick.
2. Cover the entire area to be worked on (carpet, etc) with duct tape, and then place the 'new' kicks in the car.
3. Lay some pieces of fiberglass mat (soaked in resin of course) over the kicks and onto the surrounding area. This will serve as the back side of the kicks. Make this section larger than you think it needs to be, as you can easily trim it later.
4. Repeat step #3 with at least 2-3 layers total.
5. Make some wooden rings that fit the speakers. Decide on the angle you wish to aim the speakers, and tack the rings in place with hot glue. You may have to space the rings up with dowels or short strips of wood.
6. Remove the panels from the car.
7. Go to a fabric store and buy some fleece. Probably one yard will do.
8. Stretch the fleece around the panels and hot glue it to the back side. Stretch it until it is smooth.
9. Brush on one layer of resin/hardener and work it into the fleece with the brush. let this cure. Brush on another layer. Let this cure.
10. Trim/sand the back side where the fleece is glued so the panels will again fit the car. Test fit them to see if any adjustments are necessary.
11. Depending on how you choose to finish the kicks determines the next step(s). In any case, make sure there are no soft spots. Any areas of the kick that seem flimsy can be reinforced with some mat.
12. You can paint these, or upholster them. Select Products makes heat-stretchable vinyl that can be used for a seamless finish.
13. Once they are ready to install, make certain that the back side has some type of opening, as most automotive speakers are not designed to go in enclosures.

If this sounds like a lot of work, it is. The first set I built took about 40 hours. The second set took about 16 hours.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet! This is exactly the how to I was looking for. I have an extra setof kicks so this should work perfectly. Thanks for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts