Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm looking to replace my speakers. Everybody recommends the Alpine Type-R's. I like my Infinity Kappas, but they are showing their age and NEED replacing - yes, NEED! I'm not really debating what brand to get, just curious about sizes.

I know 5x7's fit and that 6.5's will fit with an adaptor. The 6.5's require more power (meets my amp rating however - would be overpowering the 5x7's) and have a 2.75 mounting depth (adaptor would take care of that). Cost is the same, as is the frequency range. Any reason why I shouldn't get the 6.5's? I'm open for opinions, just that I read round speakers are better for music.

I'm also curious if 6x9's will fit. I realize a spacer/adapter will probably have to be used, but they are 3.25 mounting depth. What kind of spacer would I need, or would they hit the door panel (looking for the front door)? Any reason why I shouldn't get 6x9's? I'd like more bass up front without getting components or adding a mid-bass driver up front. I have a ZX5 and the 6x9's would go up front (assuming they would work).

Just wondering because I'd like to get some speakers that work again!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hey Tim,

I haven't been around and don't have much time, but I'll give some info on this.

Don't get 6.5" unless you get mid to high quality.
Least amount Alpine SPX-177R, mid amount Oz Audio 180CS for $300 shipped, next step would be more than $700 for Seas Lotus to beat the Oz 180CS.

I could put together an active set for less money, but would need 2 more amp channels. I still have 3 Arc 2ch amps sitting here. [:D]

So for less than $200 or so, then stick with 5x7, 6x8, or adapt 6x9.
Make sure they are 2-way and have a good 1" tweeter and preferably external Xovers. Maybe try the Polk MMC570 for good low-end and a decent tweeter. They are cheap on eBay.

With a 1/2" baffle spacer and a couple layers of dampener, you might fit 3.25" (3.125 for sure, this I've tried).

·
Registered
77 Posts
6x9's.... I wouldn't suggest you placing on doors because of their deep (I mean Alpine). I installed a pair on a friend's ZX4 rear doors and they hitted the window causing tint to scratch. We used a very high adapto and have to cut the metal for they to fit.

At the end, 6x9's hit the door panel and sound wasn't very clear (maybe some dampening material would fix that). That installation was a pain in the ass. [spank]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Like focusincali just said, deeper speakers with a mounting depth of around 3.1 inches will fit with a 1/2'' MDF adapter. I would go with 6.5'' in the front, thats what i am doing. Go over to caraudio.com forums and read around there. For the money, people seen to rave about crystal SSCS components. The only drawback is they are large, with a depth of ~3.1 inches and an OD basket of 7 1/4. Most speakers have an OD of around 6 1/2-6 3/4 i believe. With an apapter, i dont feel there will be any problem fitting an OD of 7 1/4, i just need to take a few more measurements to check it out.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
many people have installed shallow 8" mids, so no problem on the 7"

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just curious about the 6x9's fitting. I'd like to improve the bass upfront and not rely on my sub as much.

I know the mounting depth is an issue with the 6x9's and I'd need one heck of a spacer, but then you need to worry about them hitting the door panel. It's been forever since I've ripped my doors apart to see, but would a 3/4" spacer even work (speaker hitting the panel)?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
3/4" spacer is pushing the limit, it would then depend on the amount of cone travel

the larger mids up front won't play lower frequencies, they'll just play the same midbass frequencies with more output.

below 80 or 60Hz will only have authority with a sub

my 6.5" mids have good midbass output, but the sub (playing on a low level) gives just enough low-end impact to "feel" the music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts