Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With a 2003 ZX3 (zetec) I'm getting intermittent temp and fuel gauge readings where the needles will bounce around now and then...sometimes a lot...sometimes not at all. Also affects the tach some.

Seems like a ground loss or current loss.

I've reset most of the relays...by pulling and resetting them...also the fuses...in the box under the hood.

Has anyone seen this problem and maybe have a solution???

Did a SEARCH and found some info...SEARCH BOX needs to NOT be grayed out...hard to find it???

Has anyone been able to reset the plug on the back of the cluster without removing the cluster???

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is Fred's alter ego...

I think this issue might stem from the fact that this car has been sitting under a pine tree for maybe 10 months and collecting pine needles in the cowl intake which eventually resulted in water buildup inside on the floor. The high humidity probably corrodes the connxs and causes this problem.

I removed the cowl covers and cleaned out the needle mess so it will drain...also sealing up the cowl over the intake using silicone caulk...plus a chunk of breathable foam to act as a heating/AC intake filter.

I might have had this problem before when the car was sitting for a month or so with a tailight leak. I think after driving for awhile it went away...hopefully I'll luck out again.....otherwise I'll likely need to remove the inst cluster to reset the plug in back. The fun never stops....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove the car around 20 miles or so...not the slightest sign of gauge spasticity. Lucked out...

I'd like to thank Fred's alter ego for all the help...

Though I'm going to trade off this car...I'm going to miss it for sure. Handles real well...good sound system. Just getting too old to keep up with the continual repairs...though the exercise and challenge of figuring things out is beneficial.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts