Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't see any changes from earlier COP setups on the '12 up focus.

Unplug the coil, remove mounting bolt, lift off coil & boot assembly, unscrew plug.

No secret, and comes off easier than typical plug wires.
Not much help, but thanks for trying.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Do what we can, JimsterG.

Elizabeth had asked, apparently hadn't gotten beyond oil changes on the current car for lack of need to do so, and since others seemed unsure as well she had no problem posting the "simple" question.

As things change under the hood, just figuring out which pieces do what becomes more complicated to anyone not familiar with a particular engine.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Coils rarely ever go bad, what does go bad are the boots and the springs inside. These in bad weather areas will corrode or boots tear so save your money on the coils and just replace the plugs and boots

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
From seeing pics I am suprised how far 'IN' the plugs actually are from the top of the engine.
Right off I can see the plug socket getting stuck on the plug (Most spark plug sockets do not have a very strong 'click' to the typical ball bearing lock in the typical extension... and thus maybe the socket being a PITA to get out of the hole. (just thinking ahead) And using antisieze ... hell yes. And the plug getting stuck after years of sitting down in there is one good reason to change them before 100,000 miles.

I saw a 'cutaway' photo which may or may not be of the MK3 Focus 2.0 engine. (tough bird to single out using Google, and Ford is zero help)
With two pistons/ valvetrain exposed. On one the plug was turned so the ground was directly in the way twixt plug and the injector.. (that would be a goot candidate for an indexed plug. LOL)
That engine cutaway had the plugs coming in at an angle, and the injector straight up. From the pics of changing the plugs on a real MK3, the plugs sem to be straight down. (Which may be an illusion) so I am not certain if the cutaway is the real MK3, 2.0 engine? or not. [rant]

·
Registered
55 Posts
it's a touch of an illusion but not much.

the injectors are a bit canted to the side IIRC.

the plugs have to fit down between the 2 cams, the rockers, and down between the valves. so it is rather deep.

as far as replacement - it's easy peasy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since the Forum is preventing me from PMing a Seller in buy-sell-trade, because I don't have enough posts, until I spam the Forum with useless post:

Just let me say: "I like spark plugs!"

I am using e3s. I see that they are NOT recommended particularly, by anyone, but they are better than the cheap Delcos that came in my car. (Which I can see why also aren't recommended.

Woot! That's #2!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am using e3s. I see that they are NOT recommended particularly, by anyone, but they are better than the cheap Delcos that came in my car. (Which I can see why also aren't recommended.!
Years ago some guy told me I should run e3 plugs in my Evo....He also told me that 100oct blew up his Mazdaspeed 3. I laughed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts