Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the old stockers, with a couple of the new (copper core-gapped at .060) plugs on the outside.
Note #3...running a bit lean in that cylinder. [:(]
Seems to be typical, but I don't know what to do about it.
Kinda scary if you ask me.

I put a couple notes in the pic.
At first, I thought the plugs wouldn't fit, but they did work just fine.
The new plugs don't have as many threads, but the plug will still seat in the same position in the head.
Note the "shoulder", which is where it bottoms out in the head.

Might be the placebo effect, but I swear I picked up a bit of power from 2,500-5,000.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Copper core are better performers but do not have the over-all life span of the platinum core stockers. 100 thousand miles for Platinum core plugs and 30thou- miles for coppercore.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Keep an eye on that #3 cylinder. I would check it every once in a while. No codes or anything???

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Artood2s said:
Keep an eye on that #3 cylinder. I would check it every once in a while. No codes or anything???
^^^I most definitely will be checking on it.
No codes, just that rather lean looking plug. [:(]

Anyone know exactly what is causing this condition??

·
Registered
511 Posts
Maybe the injector is not opening up fully. Maybe you can also do a compression check just to make sure they are all even.

P.s. All my plugs looked exactly the same when I changed them.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the injector is not opening up fully.
Just ran some Techron through it a month ago...
The engine is running great, and sure haven't noticed a drop in performance or gas mileage.

Our little Yellowstone G2G is this weekend.
I'm going to pull the plugs when we get back, and have a look see.
Should be around 1,000 miles on the new plugs by then.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WD-40, since you're talking about spark plugs when I had mine changed out I had it done by a Quality Care shop. Now I don't know how they did the gaps. I see that you were talking about .60. How do I know if they did that and what things would I notice if they did not gap properly?? I don't know if it matters much but I got those brisk plugs off of Focussport as well so they have like 4 different arc points like a hemispherical plug. So I highly doubt they spent the time to gap 4 different parts on my spark plug? But who knows??

·
Registered
459 Posts
I needed them in a blink of an eye, show i just picked up what was available locally.
They are platinums, should the be gapped the same as the coppers you got?
0.60 ?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mboren said:
I don't know if it matters much but I got those brisk plugs off of Focussport as well so they have like 4 different arc points like a hemispherical plug.
So I highly doubt they spent the time to gap 4 different parts on my spark plug?
IIRC, you can't gap those plugs at all.
You get what you get so to speak.
Portuga said:
They are platinums, should the be gapped the same as the coppers you got? 0.60?
I don't see a problem at all, but you do need to be extremely gentle when gapping the platinum plugs.
Primary reason to gap them higher that stock (.051-.052) is to get a better spark.
The coil can certainly handle sending out the extra juice.

·
Registered
594 Posts
So what if the gap is to far?? Will it misfire?? I'm looking into getting the Taylor Thundervolts 8.2 & a new set of stock plugs, I want it to last 100,000. I have 80,000 on the factory set & nothing seems wrong. I just want to upgrade since i will soon be doing a timing belt also.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what if the gap is to far?? Will it misfire??
Yes.
The engine's compression will blow the spark out if there's too much gap.

As easy as these plugs are to replace, I see no reason to run to 100,000 miles on the platinum plugs.
Get the copper core Motorcrafts (less expensive) and have better spark at the same time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
WD, are the plugs a pretty quick job for diy guys? They seem like they'd be quick, but I haven't ever tried it, also, did you just get the motorcraft plugs from
Ford?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was told that copper cores are only good for FI and a down grade on NA motors[scratch]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts