Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up, based on the recommentdations of a few others, a shiny set of Motorcraft AZFS22C aka SP-463 spark plugs and put them in my SVTF last night. Now I'd read that some where gapping at .055 and some at .060 for this plug, so I thought I'd see which worked better. Right as it started getting dark, I got them in at .055 and fired up.

Great! [driving]

Naturally I began to overthink this and decided that, after reading a few more comments online, decided to go back and re-gap to .060. Coolio. So more or less in the dark while the kids watched Spongebob, I regapped to .060 and fired up. Gnarly! Really gnarly. It sounded like it was running out of gas.

Now here's my uneducated query. Was .060 the wrong gap? Did I not get a plug wire on correctly in the dark? Or could I have fudged something up?

Thoughts? Opinions? Bueller?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Im thinking you did not get one of the spark plug wires on a plug. I have the same plugs gapped to .060 and have no problems at all. For starters check all your connections on the plugs and coil.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm going to check it when I get home. I was in a bit of a rush and it was dark out (and my wife had my flash light).

·
Registered
808 Posts
darn those pesky wives lol.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old are your wires?
If you've got some used up stockers, they may very well have too much resistance to fire across that .060 gap.

TaylorMade 8mm wires, red, less than 15K on them and was running GREAT beforehand. I'm betting I didn't plug something in. I'll check-n-gap when I get home this afternoon and let you know how it goes.[:D]

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that was a big splattering "duh". Opened it up and it turns out my #4 plug wire was sitting in the hole but not pressed down all the way. Popped it in and my car is alive....he's alive!!

**mad cackling**

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from taking the kids to grandmas house and, while I realize a lot of mods or part-for-part swaps seem to make a difference only in your imagine or the "butt dyno", it really feels like its running smoother and is alive in the lower band range. Wowsers!

·
Registered
808 Posts
and thats with the .060 gap?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Glad the plugs are working out for you. I've run 'em for quite some time with no issues. Funny enough, I was getting some weird hesitation in my supercharged car under full throttle so I decided to pull the plugs and check it out. Figured the plugs might not be up to snuff. They looked great but were gapped to .050, which is too wide for a boosted car. Gapped 'em down to .035 and wow, much better!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'll have to remember that when I get my turbo installed.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and thats with the .060 gap?
Yep. Got that tip from several guys and it really wakes the car up in the lower RPM band range.

·
Registered
808 Posts
well I know what I'll be doing Saturday morning :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts