Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home tonight I smelled something electrical and a "pop" when I pressed the gas. Car also sputtering.

After pulling over I noticed that one of the spark plugs was OUT! Just sitting on the head, still connected to spark plug wire boot. The plastic piece that the wires connect to had broken at the hold down screw. Hoping that that had been cracked, and over time the plugged worked itself out until the compression blew it out.

Going to need the boot, the spring seems stretched out, but also going to need that plastic piece that the boot slips on since the screw down part broke. What is that part called?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what is the the plastic piece on each plug that secures to the head via a screw and has a small wiring harness connected to it?

That was per NAPA over the phone...

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Coil on plugs is correct and you're better off replacing all four at the sametime. If one of the four boots fail, you can kind of expect the other three to crap out sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why would the spark plug blow out of the head?
That's the big question here.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Depends on whether he remembered to tighten it down correctly or started to cross thread it, thinking that he had it turned down enough without damaging the head....

This is why I always do one plug at a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts