Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off the new 9mm Ford Racing Spark PLugs i just bought at summit dont fit my [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g car, the boot is not wide enough to fit around and i threw out the reciept cause im a *******.

Anyways heres my question, the person before me had motorcraft platinums, burnt to shit, huuuuuuuge gap in the spark plug, anyways so i put some brand new sparks in but they are regualr motorcrafts, now i feel like my car is slower, even though the other spark plugs were shiiiiiiiiit, like i think they were original and theres 72,000 miles on it. but anyways i want to know would it really make a difference if there motorcraft platinum or motorcraft regular??? i dont think it would and others said that to so it might be my imagination??

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^hmm, i actually think the stock ones that come with the car are motorcraft platinums. Not sure, plugs arent that expensive, try some platinums and see if it makes a difference. Any why dont your plugs fit, they should.

·
Registered
105 Posts
DrkKnight614 said:
^^hmm, i actually think the stock ones that come with the car are motorcraft platinums. Not sure, plugs arent that expensive, try some platinums and see if it makes a difference. Any why dont your plugs fit, they should.
Yeah they're platinums. i ended up getting autolites from walmart for now (until i can get the ones off of FocusSport) and they seemed to smooth out my engine quite a bit compared to the factory platinums...weird..[paranoid] the one thing that kinda screwed with me was the fact that, when i pulled out the factory ones, they had such a small amount of threads and then i see the autolite ones and they have nearly double that. but i ended up just counting the amount of turns it took to pull the old ones out and used the same number to put them in and they were ok. (I was afraid of the plug going in to far[?|] )

·
Registered
789 Posts
you should ALWAYS screw plugs in all the way and then a 1/4 turn after that. NEVER leave a plug loose like that. plugs are made to go in certain cars just like most every other part. always make sure you get the right part and COMPLETELY install them not just half assed.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
or you can just use a tq wrench when installing them and tq to the reccomended tq which is like 11 ft/lbs or something like that

·
Registered
105 Posts
focusfreak03 said:
you should ALWAYS screw plugs in all the way and then a 1/4 turn after that. NEVER leave a plug loose like that. plugs are made to go in certain cars just like most every other part. always make sure you get the right part and COMPLETELY install them not just half assed.
no, it's not that i just left it there, it stopped turning after 11 or so turns (for both old and new) and i pushed it a little further to torque it. I completely installed them, no worries there. i'd imagine it wouldn't have run all that well if i either didn't tighten them all the way or didn't tighten them at all.

·
Registered
789 Posts
ok, i just misunderstood.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No worries. However, does anyone know how much a torque wrench would cost a person or am i gonna have to rely on my mechanically calibrated arm? (In terms or header swaps and other, "torque-able" stuff)

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
^^cheap one from checker: is about 60 ish, the clicking type.^^
sears : about 90-120, very nice. easy to read numbers in a small window!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Excellent, thnx man, except they call it Schucks in alaska, no worries. I call it Checkers anyways and everyone looks at me like 'what the hell are you talking about?' so i have to explain where i'm from. (Colorado originally).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts