Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all my car is an 02 SVTF with Jackson Racing SC setup with k&n drop in filter, otherwise stock.

I just replaced the plugs wires and coil with Denso Iridium plugs, MSD 8.5mm wires, and MSD coil from CFM. I went with 1 step colder than stock for svt because of the extra power from SC kit.

The car is running MUCH better than it was with the stock stuff, but still is not idling as smooth as it should be.

This is what denso says about plug gap:

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

My question is, should I change the gap that came preset because of the SC setup? If so, what gap should they be set to, and how do i check gap without damaging the electrode?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

·
FF Affiliate
31,090 Posts
First loose the Denso Iridium plugs , My opinion there over rated and worthless

Get a set of SP463 plugs , gap them to .040 and if you get a misfire at WOT lower the gap to .030

Start there if that doesnt help I will be glad to look at a datalog and see where the problem is , I dont charge to do this

Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
We bought 10 sets of the SP463 from advantage parts and they lowered the price to $1.34 per plug. I made more HP on the dyno with these over the high priced plugs. Tom knows what he is talking about,he took the new high priced plugs out of my car because it would not idle and put in the SP463 and the car ahs set track records and won its class overall this year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First loose the Denso Iridium plugs , My opinion there over rated and worthless

Get a set of SP463 plugs , gap them to .040 and if you get a misfire at WOT lower the gap to .030

Start there if that doesnt help I will be glad to look at a datalog and see where the problem is , I dont charge to do this

Tom
thanks for the advice. I will do that. I wish someone locally had them in stock. Looks like I will have to wait until monday......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts