Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think for a stock SVT, you are fine with 50-55 wherever in there. OPening them up is a myth about making more power, they really dont or if it does you wont feel it. I have mine gapped at 40 but my Motor is far from stock. But as i said if its just bolt ons ur fine with 50. Nitrous or FI go to 30-35.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
.060 without nitrous or FI .030-.035 with nitrous or FI.

also its not a myth... the wider the gap the more voltage it takes to fire the plug. The more voltage used the more complete the ignition/burn..... it will definitly help smooth out the idle.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i thought the iridiums come pre gapped and if you try to gap them you risk breaking the small electrode or whatever??? [dunno]

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Ok, Well THATS true. 03Orange you dont gain really any power tho do u?I mean i KNOW for a fact with FI you can, but NA basically stock you wont. We would somewhat, but its minimal for stock vehicles right?HEHE i had my gaps right tho!!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
It does make some difference even with a NA motor... you can even hear the difference in the exhaust note.

I know it sounds strange.......

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I agree, just put new msd wires and motorcraft copper plugs and the exhaust sounds way better. Idles better too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What gap did you use on the coppers?

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
If your that woorried about the gap go to your local parts store they'll gap them for free.
P.S.ask the old guy behind the counter every parts store has one and they always show you how to do it so you can do it your self the next time

·
Registered
354 Posts
Would you recommend the coppers for a NA set-up or stick with plats for stock?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Either way is good, just know that the coppers need to be replaced more frequently than the plats.

Right now I am running the coppers and I have zero complaints. You will most likely have to order them though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts