Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a rebuilt head from a mech. and it was in great shape installed it and got everything finished. the place had left the old spark plugs in the head and when i took the first one out it broke and left the threads in the head. Do I have to take the head back off to use an ease out to remove it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No you dont have to remove the head. Actually f-150's are known to do this, i cant tell you how many of these i have removed. They make a tool that can remove whatever porcelain and the part is left in the plug bore. I got mine from snap-on, but im sure your not going to want to pay for a tool that your only going to use once, try and find one cheaper somewhere other than snap-on or it might just be easier to take it to a shop and have them do it. If im right they probably charge you about 1.5 hours for labor.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
It's fixable just how you go about it up to you, but like the poster above me said they make a tool and stuff for things like this. Good luck with what ever you do. I'm sure you'll get it up and running soon.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Once you get it out how do you keep all the broken crap from falling down into the plug hole?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i looked at the tool that ford uses but it isnt what i need it takes out the left over piece of a two part plug....mine is broken between the nut portion and the threads...the metal threads is all that is in the head you can look past the part that is there and see the piston. i was told i had to take the head back off and screw it out the bottom. or to use an ease out but that could damage the head. im about to give up....its dropped two valves in 5 months. so i got a rebuilt head instead of fixing that one for a third time and all i had to do was change the plugs and the very first one broke :(

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
did it actually break in half or what...... I know you say just the threads left, but is it really the threads?

That tool ferby20 mentioned is an awesome one. I really don't know WHY Ford made a two piece spark plug but that's what they used (use still?) in the Triton motors. It shouldn't be useful in this case though because of the different design of the plugs.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I've gotten busted bolts out by using a flat head into the broken part and unscrewing it that way. I don't know what is left of the spark plug, but if you can get a flat head to catch on any of the broken part you may be able to unscrew. Also this may be time consuming or at least it was for me when I broke a bolt off of the cam tower when changing my cams out. A little turn at a time lol

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Once you get it out how do you keep all the broken crap from falling down into the plug hole?
I used a shop vac to get all that junk out use a good flashlight to make sure its all out though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Honestly, the plug in these heads is down a DEEP hole, and if you aren't experienced in removal - AND all the repair options - it'll be better to take it to an "expert" as is, so he has the best chance to do it right for you.

Cheaper & easier than removing the head, and still needing an expert & his tools & supplies to fix it right....

If it was just a "crap can" you were learning to wrench on, I'd say "go for it", but this is NOT an easy one to learn on....

Luck!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A ball of playdough on the end of an extendable magnet can be used to clear up bits and pieces that might fall in afterwards.

It is a pretty tricky manuever, though. If you aren't 100% certain you can do it without messing up the head or leaving chunks in your cumbustion chamber, take it is someone that is.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
A ball of playdough on the end of an extendable magnet can be used to clear up bits and pieces that might fall in afterwards.

It is a pretty tricky manuever, though. If you aren't 100% certain you can do it without messing up the head or leaving chunks in your cumbustion chamber, take it is someone that is.
Nice trick

Makes you wonder if the head wasnt removed because of this issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a $10 screw extractor ( four sided not spiral)and sprayed it with pb blaster and let it soak over night. it screwed out with no problem. i used a magnet to clean out any shavings(didnt find any :)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I bought a $10 screw extractor ( four sided not spiral)and sprayed it with pb blaster and let it soak over night. it screwed out with no problem. i used a magnet to clean out any shavings(didnt find any :)
oh i figured it would be the white porcelin stuff from the plug? maybe thats not where it broke?

·
Registered
2 Posts
so what do i do?

Hi, i broke the spark plug off with the "nut". so the spurk plug's thread is still in the engine.
what do i do?

can i use the w-40 or something similar in the hole where the plug goes to? just fill that chamber? what to do with it when i am ready to try and remove it?

what is the name of the tool that can try and remove the thread?

Thank you, please help me....

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I think it's called "easy out tool" or that's what I typed into google, and even watched a video on youtube where they used the tool to remove a broken spark plug.

Here is the video where they used it. It's somewhere in the middle. I didn't watch the whole thing just enough to get some more info to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ZvtRLzM88

·
Registered
2 Posts
details?

thanks for the reply. my question was, when the guy says
soak the part in PB Blaster, does it mean i fill the the hole with the broken plug with pb blaster and then somehow remove the pb blaster?
or just spray it?

please, can you give more details.

thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
PB Blaster is a penetrating lubricant. The purpose is to loosen rusted or stuck bolts and fasteners. Spray where the plug threads into the head and let it soak into the mating surfaces. All this does is make the stuck plug easier to remove. The real work comes from some kind of an extractor that you use. There are different types of extractors, square and spiral. Use one of these to unthread the plug.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Moderator: With this being a common problem, (and if it isn't already in the Archive) would it make sense to put the part about PB Blaster and the Easy Out as a solution in the 'How Archive'?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts